Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dead cylinder in my 1997 cobra (cylinder 5) and im wondering what exactly has to be done to take the piston out. Im assuming it is like my fox where the piston comes out from the top? Does the motor need to be pulled or can it be done in the car. Im not sure yet if it is the piston or the ring but either way the piston has to come out. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I have pulled them in the car before, and to be honest, it would have been faster and easier to pull the engine. I wouldn't just do that one cylinder, just go ahead and redo the entire bottom end, because if one is gone, the rest could be close behind, and you only want to do the job once.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the deal is I got the car for cheap and im most likely just going to fix it and sell it. In that case do you think it would still be worth rebuilding the whole bottom end? Where can I find a rebuild kit for that?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Shop around for your kit. Summitt and PAW always carry good parts for good prices. I would agree that just fixing one cylinder might be a bad idea. You might discover that the next weakest one fails an hour later after you crank up the motor the first time!

When you say the cylinder is "dead", does that mean you have done a compression test on the engine? What did the other cylinders read?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I ran a compression test and had about 10psi. One of my buddies told me that its possible that the valve seat is wore or something. Im not very familiar with these motoros. But no noises now over heating or anything. I drove the car an hour and a half home with no problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.