Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I need some help. I started replacing my pads and rotors and ran into problems with the caliper. I can't get a socket wrench onto the bottom bolt (red circle) because of this wire tube (green circle) which I can only assume is the e-brake.

I'm still a newbie at this stuff, is there an easy way to remove that line that's blocking the caliper bolt?

·
Registered
180 Posts
You can't fit a box wrench in there?

Also, are you actually replacing the caliper itself? You dont really need to remove the entire caliper from the vehicle to replace brakes/rotors. You just have to remove the 1 bolt that lets the top part of the caliper pivot off of the rotor. I havent done brakes on the mustang yet, but I have done them for other cars and calipers all work the same way.

IF your replacing the entire caliper + rotors + pads, I would use a box wrench to get to that nut.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Remove one or two of the bolts with the rubber accordion cover - the lowest, most right bolt in the photo.

They are supposed to allow the caliper to slide back and forth inside the hanger as the rotor wobbles.

If you are replacing pads, just remove one and pivot the caliper out of the way. If you are replacing the caliper, it may come with replacement pins.

You will still have to get the piston all of the way back in. Major PITA.

You have to compress the piston while screwing it back in. They have a tool for this at the car parts shop...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so I'm removing the wrong bolts entirely? haha. I'm just replacing rotors and pads, but I assumed you had to take the caliper off to get at the rotor.

I do have the special piston tool, so that wasn't an issue. I did notice that whoever put these bolts in last used red thread lock, which is really pissing me off. I almost stripped the bolt getting one of them out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
...that and the bolts you were looking at in the caliper hanger are long, covered in loctite and just about have to be beaten out get out!

My '03 Lincoln LS has a worn guide in one of the hangers. The caliper rocks in place instead of sliding back and forth. It's eating the outside half of the rotor.

I sweated through my shirt, shorts and socks yesterday trying to get THAT thing off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts