Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my mustang hit 65k recently and I knew it was time to replace the spark plugs, so I went down to an auto parts store, got some plugs, and took them to my mechanic.

So he called me back a day later (today) and said he wouldn't change out the spark plugs due to some issue with the old ones possibly breaking off when taking them out. He said it was some kind of known issue / recall type thing for these motors. I have never heard of this before, and changing spark plugs should be relatively simple. He said it would need to be done at a dealership (who want to charge be ~$500 for a 'tune up'...)

Has anyone else heard about this problem with changing the spark plugs on this engine?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
the 3v motors are known for this issue. the factory plugs break when being removed. ford sells a special tool to remove the broken peice out of the motor. i think the plugs the parts store sell are improved for this not to happen anymore but not sure.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Removing the OEM plugs in an 05 S197 GT is a time consuming process. And some owners have experienced breakage, which can leave the lower portion of the plug stuck in the orifice that requires a special tool to remove it. There's also a TSB addressing this issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Huh... that blows. I practically tore down and rebuilt the engine in a 1972 Mercury Capri when I was in high school. Now I can't even replace spark plugs... lol.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It can be done easily if time is taken and you carefully and slowly work the old ones out. My mechanic did mine and he warned me before about all the risks. I knew that one might break but I put in the Champion #7989 One-piece replacements so that I should never have to worry about another one breaking ever again.

If you're going to have the plugs changed, switch to one-piece plugs so when it comes time to change them again you don't have to go through this again. Luckily when mine were changed none broke and it took just under an hour for the whole job.

P.S. The one-piece plugs are expensive but worth the piece of mind.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I recently changed the plugs in my 2006 with 55k. I had all 8 plugs come out no problem. What I did was on Sunday I ran the tank pretty much to E. I then filled up with premium fuel and dumped a full can of sea foam in the tank. At half a tank on Wednesday I did the PCV sea foam treatment. On Thursday night after work and the engine cooling down I put about a tablespoon of sea foam in each plug hole and backed out each plug 1/8 turn. I waited about 2 hours and backed out another 1/8 turn. The next morning all plugs came out with minimal effort compared to the stories I had heard about creaking and having to work back and forth. I Also went with the 1 piece champions.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
This is probably something I should be thinking about doing on my car soon...just bought it, it's got a hair under 52K on it. Probably better to do it soon rather than waiting and letting it get worse, I figure.

I've heard about the cracking the plugs loose and spraying carb cleaner around the outside trick...will probably use that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts