Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am coming up on 60,000 on my '07. I am getting some over revving on shifting and twice I have had my tach rev up to 6000 as I was going up a hill.
When I replace it I am wondering if I would benefit from a high performance clutch as opposed to a factory replacement.If so what type or brand?
I plan on keeping the car and I drive it hard for sure.
Any insight is appreciated
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Spec is always a good budget friendly, yet still quality brand.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses to my clutch question . I am wondering if my idea of a "performance " clutch is wrong. I am thinking performance clutch means lasting "longer and more durable". Is that true?
I got 60,000 out of the factory clutch is that a reasonable life for a clutch? I always hear varying responses.
As I said I plan on keeping the car so I am looking for more longevity with replacement parts. (factory or after market)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I think that's a decent clutch life, especially considering the kind of car you're driving. I think people can get well over 100k miles on a clutch, just depends on your driving style. I know I power shift more than I probably should down at the track and I'll probably have mine wear out within the next 20k or so.

I say, if you have to replace it, why not get a clutch that's a little more in tune with your driving style? It sounds like you like to have a little fun, so a heavier duty clutch may be more your pace.

I'd think about an aluminum flywheel while you're at it! Get rid of some rotational mass :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You got 60K out of the original clutch. If you're not planning to keep the car past 120K, I'd go with OEM parts. Nick F's advice is spot on..
I actually anticipate that I will keep the car way beyond the next four years which would bring me up to 120 +.

So get something other than factory as Nick advised?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I say, if you have to replace it, why not get a clutch that's a little more in tune with your driving style? It sounds like you like to have a little fun, so a heavier duty clutch may be more your pace.

I'd think about an aluminum flywheel while you're at it! Get rid of some rotational mass :)
How would I determine what (brand/type) is more in tune with my driving style?

Do i even want to know what the deal is with an aluminum flywheel?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I actually anticipate that I will keep the car way beyond the next four years which would bring me up to 120 +.

So get something other than factory as Nick advised?
In that case, considering the hassle and expense to replace the parts, I'd get the beefiest parts you can get. I don't have a recommendation as my pony is an automatic. Am sure there are quality parts out there, hopefully someone that has done it will have recommendations. You might want to post to one of the technical forums to get more feedback.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
How would I determine what (brand/type) is more in tune with my driving style?

Do i even want to know what the deal is with an aluminum flywheel?
Stage 1:
Daily Driver Friendly. This SPEC Stage 1 Clutch is designed for bolt-on naturally aspirated and mildly modified forced induction engines. It's best suited to 'Stangs that see daily driver duty and occasional track use, since it offers the most friendly pedal feel combined with SPEC's legendary durability.

05-June 07
SPEC Stage 1 Mustang Clutch (2005 to June 2007 V6) SF661 - Free Shipping!
July 07-10
SPEC Stage 1 Clutch (June 07-10 Mustang V6) SF661-2 - Free Shipping!

Stage 2
Perfect for Weekend Warriors. The SPEC Stage 2 Clutches are designed for all mild to moderately modified naturally aspirated and power added engines, but can be used with stock power levels without sacrificing driveability or excessive wear characteristics. They are the perfect balance of driveability and durability that makes them a great choice for Mustangs that see a lot of time on the street as well as the strip and track.

05-June 07
SPEC Stage 2 Clutch (05-June 07 Mustang V6) SF662 - Free Shipping!
July 07- 10
SPEC Stage 2 Clutch (June 07-10 Mustang V6) SF662-2 - Free Shipping!

---------
The idea behind an aluminum flywheel is reducing rotational mass. The stock flywheel is made of steel, and rotates with the engine. Going to an aluminum means you rev up quicker and have less drivetrain loss :) It takes a little bit to get used to, but my friend has ran one for a while with a Stage 2 clutch and he loves it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stage 1:
Daily Driver Friendly. This SPEC Stage 1 Clutch is designed for bolt-on naturally aspirated and mildly modified forced induction engines. It's best suited to 'Stangs that see daily driver duty and occasional track use, since it offers the most friendly pedal feel combined with SPEC's legendary durability.

Stage 2
Perfect for Weekend Warriors. The SPEC Stage 2 Clutches are designed for all mild to moderately modified naturally aspirated and power added engines, but can be used with stock power levels without sacrificing driveability or excessive wear characteristics. They are the perfect balance of driveability and durability that makes them a great choice for Mustangs that see a lot of time on the street as well as the strip and track.

05-June 07
SPEC Stage 2 Clutch (05-June 07 Mustang V6) SF662 - Free Shipping!
July 07- 10
SPEC Stage 2 Clutch (June 07-10 Mustang V6) SF662-2 - Free Shipping!

---------
The idea behind an aluminum flywheel is reducing rotational mass. The stock flywheel is made of steel, and rotates with the engine. Going to an aluminum means you rev up quicker and have less drivetrain loss :) It takes a little bit to get used to, but my friend has ran one for a while with a Stage 2 clutch and he loves it.

Thanks so much for the info. I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I had a Spec Stage One and I wasn't very thrilled with it. It drove about the same as stock and was a little bit noisier, especially in neutral. I went back to the OEM clutch and it drives every bit as good, and quieter too. I'm running the OEM with my XCharger and have not had any problems with it. It is my daily driver and I don't race much, so I don't really have a need for anything more. When it goes I may try a Centerforce Dual Friction, I've heard a lot of good things about those or possibly a Stage 2 or 2+ if I feel the need for it. If I were you I would just keep the OEM stuff unless you plan on going f/i or doing a lot of racing

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I had a Spec Stage One and I wasn't very thrilled with it. It drove about the same as stock and was a little bit noisier, especially in neutral. I went back to the OEM clutch and it drives every bit as good, and quieter too. I'm running the OEM with my XCharger and have not had any problems with it. It is my daily driver and I don't race much, so I don't really have a need for anything more. When it goes I may try a Centerforce Dual Friction, I've heard a lot of good things about those or possibly a Stage 2 or 2+ if I feel the need for it. If I were you I would just keep the OEM stuff unless you plan on going f/i or doing a lot of racing
I disagree. He plans on keeping his car for a while. Why not make your parts tough when you have to replace them anyway? What if he decides to go F/I in the next few years? I just like to overbuild stuff. It sucks to have weak components fail.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts