Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that knows how to replace my traction lok, my question is what else do I need to install it? Would a rear gear install kit cover all the parts that need to be replaced with the new diff?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Mad_Morgan said:
I have a friend that knows how to replace my traction lok, my question is what else do I need to install it? Would a rear gear install kit cover all the parts that need to be replaced with the new diff?
If the traction lok is the only part you will be replacing, the only parts for the installation is a RTV silicone tube (or gasket), lubricant and friction modifier (if clutch type), I would make sure the carrier has new bearings though, which you can get separate. Other than that, if you remove the pinion, which is not required for the T-lok replacement, will require getting in a calibration/setup procedure that is not needed. GL

·
Registered
60 Posts
i wouldent mess with any of the bearings unless there is problems, i just did mine and it took about 45 min, just pulled the wheels, drums, rear cover, set screw, spider gear shaft, axles, spider gears, and side gears, i did put in new axle seals, i didnt want to mess with any of the bearings or pinion stuff.

·
Registered
122 Posts
when you say traction loc... do you mean the whole differential or just the clutchs that create the traction loc? if it doesnt seem to lock as well as it should or it chatters then i would just replace the clutches and not the whole diff... which like "lx2gt" said would only take about 45 mins. the only PITA part is getting the S spring back in. i always end up needing another person and a screwdriver, hammer, and a big pair of vise-grips.

but if you are replacing the diffential, then the only extra parts you would need besides fluid and RTV would be new bearings which you can get from your ford dealer or a parts store for pretty cheap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.