Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im not sure what type of fluid is it in curently.(bought the car used) but yeah its a 99 gt also just bought a tri ax t5 short throw shifter to replace my old one. also my trans runs pretty hot...even heats up my center consle some times.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
The best stuff to use is either penzoil or gm sychromesh, its not too pricey and does a great job.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
There's a fill plug and a drain plug, you fill it until it starts to come out the fill hole a little, just make sure the car is level. Its easiest to pour it in through the shifter, just remove the shifter and fill from the hole till it comes out the fill plug hole, reinstall the fill plug, and you're all set. I always use a little teflon tape on the drain and fill plugs to make sure they don't leak.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Is it better to refill the tranny fluid or do an entire tranny flush?

I've been recommended to do a tranny flush :scratchchin just wondering.

And is it worth it to change the filter and gasket while replacing the tranny fluid?

Thanks! Sorry to kind of take away from the thread ...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I use Valvoline fully synthetic (3qts) and a tube of friction modifier from advance auto, after about a month or so the 1st to 2nd grind was completely gone even in the winter months.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I assume you are refering to an automatic transmission...
IMO, it is best to replace the filter and gasket and flush the fluid with all new fluid.

There are many different opinions on this, but if you plan on changing out ALL of the fluid, that is the only way to get most of it replaced next to a complete tear down and torque convertor draining.

Is it better to refill the tranny fluid or do an entire tranny flush?

I've been recommended to do a tranny flush :scratchchin just wondering.

And is it worth it to change the filter and gasket while replacing the tranny fluid?

Thanks! Sorry to kind of take away from the thread ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.