Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first classic mustang (1970 sportsroof) and it is true to my profile name. It is a rustbucket that needs a new floor, radiator support, battery tray, and a few other structural items. I wanted to know if I can pull all this from a donor car. I have the opportunity to buy a 1970 coupe very inexpensively with no rust as a shell. Can the pieces I mentioned above be remove and reapplied to my car or would it be better to buy reproduction items?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Rustbucket

·
Registered
307 Posts
It's always better to use as many original parts as possible. With that said sometimes it's easier to go with aftermarket. The battery tray and radiator support are fairly simple to remove with out doing a ton of damage given they are spot welded into place. However you are looking at the time it's going to take to remove these parts, straighten them back out as removal will create distortion and then reinstalling. Whereas these parts are fairly inexpensive on the aftermarket and you would get them ready to install.

The removing and reinstalling a floor on the other hand seems like a huge effort and you need to be 100% sure there are no issues. Otherwise it would be better to install virgin metal and know there are no issues. You also need to pressure test the cowl in both cars. I can almost ensure you the one if not both of them will leak. The parts that are really good to get original are the doors, fenders and hood.

Doors are especailly ideal as they can save you a ton of time and money in the body shop. Aftermarket doors or skins require a ton of work to align the gaps to originial sheet metal.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I agree with Bigsecz. However, most of the after market structural items are not always the same gauge material and are usually a little thinner material.

With that being said, any outer shell material I would definately use the OEM / donor car and repair what rust /damage is needed.

The floors, cowls, battery trays, etc. use the aftermarket. just find a good source for your parts like goodmark industries.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your responses. The donor car is misssing all the exterior items, so I was focusing on structural. I believe you are right about the potential for distortion on removing the old. I think I will pass and get good reproduction stuff. You know how it is when you find something on craigslist...just mustang fever!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
keep in mind repro and even donor stuff will not just drop right in, so be prepared to work with the other pieces in to a good stress free fit before welding it wack up

1 - 5 of 5 Posts