Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All.

I am looking to buy a Rally Pac for my 65FB.

I am debating whether to get an old original one, or a repo.

I have not seen a repo in the flesh.
Are they an accurate copy and well made?
Are Scott Drake the only Co. making them, or are there also some cheap and nasty copies out there?

I would like the reliability of a repo (assuming they have been reliable!), but not if they don't look exactly like the 'real thing'.

Anyone got an original one to sell me?? :)

Ben.

·
Registered
743 Posts
G'day, Mate! Welcome to the forums!

I think all the reproduction rally-pacs out there are quality. I remember seeing them in Dallas Mustang's catalog years ago, I thought they were the ones that bankrolled the tooling, perhaps I was wrong and it was Scott Drake. I found an article in Mustang Monthly about them;
CJ Pony Parts Low Profile Rally Pac Gauges - Mustang Monthly Magazine

They aren't cheap; I've seen them for as 'little' as $370 in either NPD or Mustangs Unlimited catalogs. They come in black, which can be painted to match your interior. I just flipped through CJ Pony Part's catalog, and they offer a Rally-Pac 'shell' as it were, to which you can install your own gauges; presumably to match your aftermarket gauges. Pretty cool, but still $200.

I have not seen or heard of any cheap/crappy repro Rally-Pacs (that doesn't mean they were never made). My assumption is, this is a difficult part to reproduce.......housing, gauges, etc, and not worth the half-ass effort to do poorly, such as some of the questionable seat covers and carpet kits that were around in the late 80s.

If you decide to get an original, you may try eBay or poke around the local Mustang club. It's a desireable accessory, so nice originals will command a price that reflects their scarcity. I remember reading about someone that rebuilds these, but I cannot remember who or where. If you like the idea of reliability, I would go with the repro. you will almost certainly spend less money in the long run, and it will give you less headaches. Especially since you will probably end up dealing with folks over here in the states, ordering small parts, back and forth for rebuilding, etc, will certainly drive up the cost of an original.

One more thought: I noticed in CJ Pony Part's catalog they sell a little security screw set with special wrench, to deterr theft.

FYI, I'm jealous. I wish I had the money for a Rally-Pac! I guess that exhaust and those leaf springs will have to come first.

Michael

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ben,
The repros are great, work well, easy to install, look right. The old ones go for high dollars on the auction sites and most need clock work, tach work, or both. Yep, they cost way too much, but they did back then too. I have one, I love it, everyone who comments on it are excited to see it there. Besides, ordering a new one will give you some color and tach options. The beat up ones on that auction are buyer beware!
Harry

·
Registered
765 Posts
I just installed an 8000 RPM reproduction in my 66 coupe and it looks and works great. A bit pricy (about $400) but very authentic looking. Its a Scott Drake I think they are the only one making (quality) repros.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, looks like repo is the way to go.
They are on ebay for $369. I was concerned these maybe a cheapie copy, and not the scott drake item, but it seems they may be the only co. producing them, so they should be ok..

Now to decide if I want 6k or 8k rpm, and black, or white.. hmmm

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Most mustang part houses sell a anti theft kit its a special Allen headed screw that comes with a Allen wrench to put it on its cheap insurance to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a quick heads up.
I contacted the ebay seller 'akraft' who sells repo's for #369.
These are NOT Scott Drake items, so someone else is making repo Rally Pac's...

·
Registered
85 Posts
According to an article in "Mustang Monthly" they are Scott Drake. However, they are sold to many distributors in different packages. Mine came from NPD and didn't say SD on it anywhere. Everything in the kit was exactly the same as the one we installed in a customer car that was Scott Drake. Guess the manufacturer doesn't care, they need to bring dollars in from a limited market to cover rather high development costs.

Harry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.