Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hia guys and gals.

I got a letter from Ford saying I need to bring the car in for a recall service. The number and description is 08C02 - Reprogram Restraint Control Module. Here is the issue. I have a CAI and Tuner installed. Now normally I would install the stock intake back in and return the tune to stock, however, I will not be able to do that until I get back home to Maryland, at the end of summer. So do you think I can bring it in as it is now? Or should I just wait till I get back home. I don't want them to change the strategy code on my car and have my tunes not work because then I cannot drive my car.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The correction that the dealer will make doesn't envolve the engine management system and won't change the strategy....(unless they load another program). Mention to them not to load a program and to just do the recall service and you'll be fine...that's what I did.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The correction that the dealer will make doesn't envolve the engine management system and won't change the strategy....(unless they load another program). Mention to them not to load a program and to just do the recall service and you'll be fine...that's what I did.
Awesome thanks.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
hmmm, I got somehwhat of a different response from my dealer. When I was asked if I wanted the recall to be taken care of during a seperate service appt, I told them I can't, the car has a dyno tune on it and the service rep said, yep we can't touch it then. Maybe I'll ask them again and specify your comment...not to load a program..:headscratch:

·
Registered
954 Posts
Just load the stock tune back on, you can leave the CAI on there.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
hmmm, I got somehwhat of a different response from my dealer. When I was asked if I wanted the recall to be taken care of during a seperate service appt, I told them I can't, the car has a dyno tune on it and the service rep said, yep we can't touch it then. Maybe I'll ask them again and specify your comment...not to load a program..:headscratch:
That's b/s. They don't have to touch the PCM at all for an RCM issue.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
398 Posts
Just load the stock tune back on, you can leave the CAI on there.
I tried doing that and my car will hardly run without the C&L tune in.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Even if the engine does run with the stock tune and a CAI, it can still get damaged.

To the OP,
Suggest also posting a sticky note by the OBD II port telling the service dept. not to upgrade the stock tune. Sometimes a communication breakdown can occur between the service order writer and the mechanics if you simply tell the former not to upgrade.

S

·
0 Posts
Even if the engine does run with the stock tune and a CAI, it can still get damaged.

To the OP,
Suggest also posting a sticky note by the OBD II port telling the service dept. not to upgrade the stock tune. Sometimes a communication breakdown can occur between the service order writer and the mechanics if you simply tell the former not to upgrade.

That is exactly what I did just to make sure everyone was in the loop. They assured me that the recall wouldn't affect the stock program at all BUT I wanted to make sure that they didn't accidentally re-flash with a newer program as they do make changes now and again. Just follow the advice above and you'll be fine.

Mine went without a hitch.

:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
That is exactly what I did just to make sure everyone was in the loop. They assured me that the recall wouldn't affect the stock program at all BUT I wanted to make sure that they didn't accidentally re-flash with a newer program as they do make changes now and again. Just follow the advice above and you'll be fine.

Mine went without a hitch.

:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup
That's what I do everytime I have to take mine to Ford. I tell them verbally not to flash my computer and I put a sticky on the OBDII port saying "do not flash" I got the reminder again in the mail yesterday about the restraint software. I'm not taking any chances with them flashing the wrong thing. My car is running way to good for them to screw something up.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
That's b/s. They don't have to touch the PCM at all for an RCM issue.
Mark, I agree with you, but I'm thinking that maybe this particular dealership proably has a policy that they won't change any software on a car that has an altered tune on it. That way they don't have to worry about one of their techs screwing something up (flashing the wrong thing) and the car won't run right. My local Ford dealership is paranoid about a lot of stuff...I was told they could void my warranty (when I still had one) for long tubes...they even showed my a binder with pictures of things they could void the warranty and long tubes were in there. Illegal...yeah, but fighting it would have been unreal. They are just really paranoid. I think that's what this guy ran up against.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Mark, I agree with you, but I'm thinking that maybe this particular dealership proably has a policy that they won't change any software on a car that has an altered tune on it. That way they don't have to worry about one of their techs screwing something up (flashing the wrong thing) and the car won't run right. My local Ford dealership is paranoid about a lot of stuff...I was told they could void my warranty (when I still had one) for long tubes...they even showed my a binder with pictures of things they could void the warranty and long tubes were in there. Illegal...yeah, but fighting it would have been unreal. They are just really paranoid. I think that's what this guy ran up against.
Hey Dan. I too got another notice about not taking care of the recall yet. I'm gonna talk to Castrucci Ford again and question them directly as to if the PCM has to be re-flashed. As Mark mentioned, the PCM shouldnt have to be touched for this so maybe the service reps don't know exactly what takes place for this recall.

You hitting any of the upcoming car shows? Queen City Mustangs is this weekend and Tri-State Mustangs is weekend of 25 Jul. :wavey

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Let me know how it goes Randy...I don't want them touching any software on my car...period. Airport Ford has some doofuses (is that a word?) working up there...I can see them screwing up and flashing something over top of my custom tune and then having to work it out with Modular Depot to fix it back. (Did you know that MD has moved to Florence?...I keep meaning to stop in and see the new shop).

No, I haven't hit any shows lately...I was going to go to Fillmore's for the weekly rod show yesterday, but I had too much to do.
We have to get together for the big one down in Carollton again in September though...lots of nice stangs at that one. I've attached a link to their newsletter if anyone is interested...see page 5. For those, not in the know, the get together is held in Carrolton, KY which is midway between Cincinnati, OH and Louisville, KY. They have tons of stangs there...I would say at least a hundred, not counting the stangs guys drive to the show.
http://derbycitymustangclub.com/forms/newsletter.pdf

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Let me know how it goes Randy...I don't want them touching any software on my car...period. Airport Ford has some doofuses (is that a word?) working up there...I can see them screwing up and flashing something over top of my custom tune and then having to work it out with Modular Depot to fix it back. (Did you know that MD has moved to Florence?...I keep meaning to stop in and see the new shop).

No, I haven't hit any shows lately...I was going to go to Fillmore's for the weekly rod show yesterday, but I had too much to do.
We have to get together for the big one down in Carollton again in September though...lots of nice stangs at that one. I've attached a link to their newsletter if anyone is interested...see page 5. For those, not in the know, the get together is held in Carrolton, KY which is midway between Cincinnati, OH and Louisville, KY. They have tons of stangs there...I would say at least a hundred, not counting the stangs guys drive to the show.
http://derbycitymustangclub.com/forms/newsletter.pdf
Will let you know what Castrucci says. Wouldn't trust Airport Ford to clean the windows, so I understand your position with them.

I have been to MD's new shop...nice and spacious..just what they needed. They had outgrown the other place and this one offers them more room to grow. It's the old Dodge dealership that Lehman had. According to Greg, Lehman owns this facility and they were leasing the one in Southgate, so it made sense to move them in there. He also moved in the Used car business he had at Southgate.

Will be at the DCMC September in the Park Show. Taking Fri and weekend off to take part in all events. You need to go to the Bluegrass Motorsports event in Sept. Track Guys is hosting a 2 day HPDE Road Course Instruction there. I'm hitting Mid Ohio In Aug, a 2 day NASA HPDE event and then hitting the Bluegrass in Sept. Still trying to find out this cars potential. May take it up a notch next year, we'll see.

·
Registered
633 Posts
what is the recall for i mean what does it do and what is the danger if you dont get it fixed.my 06 gt i have not gotten anything in the mail yet.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
what is the recall for i mean what does it do and what is the danger if you dont get it fixed.my 06 gt i have not gotten anything in the mail yet.
Supposedly it adjusts the force of the airbag when it deploys so it won't hurt a small person (child or adult). The full force of the air bag as it is now (before the fix) could possibly snap the neck of a small person if the seat is all the way in the forward position when the bag deploys.
Maybe your 06 was built later and doesn't need the fix. Mine was built 1/12/06 and needs it, but I'm probably not going to get it since there will never be anyone that small in that seat in that position and I don't want a Ford person near my OBD port.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

To the OP,
Where or what exactly is the OBDII port? Is that the port that I connect my tuner to?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.