Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Request for info on brake rotors

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  pikapp 
#1 ·
I was wondering if upgrading my brake rotors would be in my best interest. Is there a drastic increase in stopping power?

The two rotors I was wondering about are the powerslot mustang rotors and DBA cross/drilled slotted rotors. Which is the better rotor? Are either of the rotors (front and back) considered more important?

#3 ·
Upgrading to stainless brake lines and a higher quality pad like Hawk, EBC or the other top names will give you the best feel for your buck.

Like stlwagon said, to really see a big difference you need to increase the rotor and caliper size and that gets into some serious $$$$ and then there are wheel fitment issues and so on and on and on....

#5 ·
I have the one shelby sells, which are the ( Baer 14" GT+ Big Break Kit ) 14" rotors on all 4 wheels... Cost more from Shelby, but wanted them to have shelby's logo.

One of my favorite mods... More time on the Gas, Less time on the Breaks. :smilie

There are more expensive kits, Like Steeda and Saleen, which are very very good, and Baer makes a better set as well. And Brembo, but my budget was 1,500. And it was money well spent I.M.O.

#6 ·
Unless you have some tremendous HP and do other things with your car besides just daily driving, I think you'd be pleased with the Power Slot setup. I changed out the front rotors to Power Slots on the wifes GT Vert a year ago and added Hawk brake pads and the improvement was quite noticable. Much better braking than OEM setup.

#9 ·
I put Stoptech slotted rotors and stainless lines on with the Hawk pads. Brenspeed Stoptech Stage 2 kit.

Mustang GT Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted Brake Kit (05-10)

I kept my stock calipers [my mechanic just gave 'em a fast silver spray paint right on the spot, so they look newish, and that is fine for me]. Installed the stainless lines and changed out the fluid with the good stuff they provided with the kit. I didn't feel a huge improvement, but hey that's how it goes, little improvements always make you want more! The improvements on my car ALL inprove drivability [except for the Sirius and hood springs] so that's how I decide what to do.

Oh the rotors are supposedly "zinc coated" to limit rust on the non-wear areas. I'm in SoCal, so they only thing they see is rain, and they sure don't look new anymore. They look ok.

Mike E
05 LL GT Spydershaft, Steeda SportSprings, 18x9 fronts, 18x10 rears with Michellen Pilot Sports $$$, SCT3 with dynotune by Perf Associates, WMS CAI and ramair plate, Champion plugs at 75k

#10 ·
At first I thought you had the Big Brake Kit from StopTech. If you had, you would have noticed a difference of night and day. Even still, with what you got, slotted rotors and Hawk Pads, you should have seen a noticeable difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.