Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do resonator type mufflers such as the SLP Loudmouth rob much HP? the reason I ask is that I must have been born old. I have never equated loud with cool. I don't mind the stock set up, but if it was a bit quieter I'd be even happier.... so if a guy was to place some resonators between the H-pipe and the mufflers - 1) would it tone down the dbs, and 2) would it rob hps?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Serious? Well maybe an aftermarket non-performance replacement. Walker Quiet-Flow comes to mind, Is it available, Not sure. Not sure on the resonators either.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's a place to start. thanks. what size is the inlet pipe to the stock muffler?

·
Registered
160 Posts
nonsensez9 said:
Do resonator type mufflers such as the SLP Loudmouth rob much HP? the reason I ask is that I must have been born old. I have never equated loud with cool. I don't mind the stock set up, but if it was a bit quieter I'd be even happier.... so if a guy was to place some resonators between the H-pipe and the mufflers - 1) would it tone down the dbs, and 2) would it rob hps?
You are on the right track with your resonator thinking. I'd keep the stock mufflers and place resonators just behind the H just as you posted. Others have done this to produce a less raspy, blap, blap kind of exhaust sound with header & catted H/X pipe installations. Reasoning is where the stock mufflers are placed, so far back, there is no tail pipe to help further cancel out some of the sounds. 1) Yes and will improve sound quality 2) as for robbing HP probably not much unless you are producing a lot more power than stock (i.e. S/C application). I'd use a real resonator instead of a "resonator type muffler".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.