Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this kind of project, so not really sure where first I should start. I have a 1968 Mustang Coupe that has old primer on it, and has been stripped on the inside ready for interior. The vehicle only has the headlights still on it (none of the tailights, or signals). I was considering on having the paint done first before getting the tailights and signals to put back on. To me it seems like it would be easier that way. Some others have told me to put the signal stuff on first, and then just have them taped off. If I do it that way even though you won't see it the paint will not cover below the signal lenses. What would be the best to do first the paint, or the signals. There is no body work that has to be done it is pretty straight. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am new to this as well, but I will be painting mine soon as well. I would say that if you have to drive the car to the shop to get it painted then put tail lights on untill you get to the shop and then take them off before they paint. I personaly will be take everything that I can off the car other then the tail lights before I take it to the shop, and I will take them off when I get there. I know the guy who will be painting mine and he said that would save me $300-$500 at a normal shop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
19Pony65

I read your reply, and appreciated the information. To me that seams to me to be the way to do it even though people probably are right that some scratches will develope when the lights are put back on maybe. That sounds reasonable on what the guy told you it could save you, because they don't have to do all the extra work. That was my thinking behind it that I might be able to get it painted more reasonably doing that. Take care and good luck. I am glad to know I am not the only one thinking that way.

·
Registered
360 Posts
You guys have the right idea. It is always better to remove all the trim, lights, handles, etc. in order to paint it. It is possible to mask, but then it does leave a lip where the tape was that could peel back or chip.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I also took everything off when I got my car painted. I drove my car to & from the painter w/o everything except tail lights...(it was only like a 3 mile trip) Just take em off when you get there, no biggie. Here are some pics of my car after paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Putt and Allmuscle

I have read ya'lls reply and it is greatly appreciated. It is nice knowing my thinking of how to do this is on the right track after being told it was on the wrong track. To me it just seems the most sincible, and I have seen paint jobs where they just taped the stuff off and doesn't look good. Allmuscle that care looks good. Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
allmuscle said:
I also took everything off when I got my car painted. I drove my car to & from the painter w/o everything except tail lights...(it was only like a 3 mile trip) Just take em off when you get there, no biggie. Here are some pics of my car after paint.
Those stripes are awsome. I want to add those to mine but it has already been painted. Do you know if they can be added or would I have to clearcoat the whole car again?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got mine back from the paint shop. One thing to be careful of is that the mustang has water collection areas that create rust. The lower lips on the fenders and quarter panels, the drip rail and most important, the windshield and rear window frames, under the trim. I removed the glass, and found rust, even though it did not show with the weather stripping still attached. I highly recommend removing the glass.. If you are going to remove everything else, why not. Pay the $35+- tow bill and have it towed as a body only. You already said you removed the interior. This is a perfect time. Take a look at my gallery to see the progress.:winks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree..I had my 66 painted 2 years ago and I elected to have it towed. The towing company for 30 some odd dollars even brought a flat bed....Unless money is tight then pay a tow company

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.