Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Retractable-stud snow tires. Too cool...

Company tests new retractable-stud snow tires
Very cool. I bet fairly spendy as well. And how long until you have to change the batteries in your tires? If your car sends a wireless signal, the receiver must have a power source.

Studs rock. They also beat the hell out of the roadway. Bad. It'd be great to be able to retract them, even while it's still winter. Like 4x4. Only use it when you need it.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
... And how long until you have to change the batteries in your tires? If your car sends a wireless signal, the receiver must have a power source...
The article doesn't say but I'd guess it would be similar to or better than the battery life in the TPMS that our +07 cars have... You figure if they designed it right the system would spend most of it's time sleeping and only come to life when it received a signal to open or close a valve. The article says the system is going to use the air pressure in your tires to move the studs.

·
Registered
889 Posts
With all those studs being actuated by the air pressure in the tires, it sounds like there would be a whole bunch of possible leaks and flat tires from it (a seal goes bad on one stud and the tire goes flat).

Winter tires are also siped and are typically made of a softer compound so that they stick better in cold weather. They wear out faster than standard summer tires. The photo showed a summer truck tire with terrible winter tread on it.

I'll stick to the tried and true winter studded tires.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Don't those come standard on the Knight Industries Three Thousand?:D

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
That's awesome...I haven't used studs since I first started driving, but they would be great on my 4x4. Next they'll come it with an ice sensor so they're automatic...technology is the S**t!

·
Registered
41,825 Posts
Kind of cool. Sure would not want to get run over with them though. I like the concept.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Thats pretty neat. I wonder what the cost on those things will be.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Wow. I thought this was made up from that Bond movie, Die Another Day. Cool!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.