Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone contemplating HID kits, I recently had the chance to install the retro-solutions econo kit on a friend's mini cooper. I run the upgraded 55w version, he had the 35w base version. Both kits were ordered with capped bulbs which I highly recommend, although on a vehicle like the cooper there is a huge plastic bulb shield so capping isn't necessary. If choosing between the two, I would go with the 55w premium version. It's brighter, for H13 bulbs you get HID with highbeams, the 35w kit has a separate standard H1 bulb so there is color mismatch. The ballasts are better on the 55w kit, bulbs get warmed up faster, there was a slightly jitter with one of the ballasts(35w) that went away after warm up.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Your comparing 2 HID kits in 2 totally different cars. The headlights aren't the same and both aren't designed for HIDs. They both won't scatter the light the same. The lights might warm up faster because the 35w is in a Mini and might not provide as much power compared to the Mustang when igniting. The same goes for the jitter, not getting enough power to ignite the light. So all I got was the 55w is brighter. Pretty obvious.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That particular ballast only jitters on the one of the ballasts, that one connected directly to the battery, mine both fire up fine. The speed that it warms up is also slower than other 35w kits I've seen. As for comparisons, they're both H13 kits, the from the same manufacturer. The price diff is about $60 - $70 so I posted it in case anyone was on the fence, wondering if it was worth it.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Are these plug n play kits? And did you retrofit in some projectors? Or are you using the stock headlamp housing? My neighbor used one in his stock housing and that junk needed to be re-aimed (he had a civic though). I really want to add HIDs to mine but I'm debating whether to get plug n plays or just get projector housings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
They're plug and play. Both kits install easily, just got to find a spot to mount the ballasts. Went into the stock housing and I found out about them thru other members on this site. I aimed mine lower than stock since they are really bright, easy to do with hand tools.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts