Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1990, 5.0 GT, Foxbody, Automatic
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's Mustang(1990, 5.0, GT, fox body) has been sitting in the garage since 09'. There was never any real issues with the vehicle except for a water leak by the heater core that I kept putting off for repairs. The fact that I had other vehicles didn't really put this high on my priority list.
My son is graduating this year and we'd like to gift him the car, However, it hasn't ran since 09'.
First time on any forum, so I need some help on getting this pony back on the road.
Any ideas where to begin?

·
Administrator
8,160 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
If you need help posting, please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

Someone will be along shortly with advice.

·
Tech-Advisor
5,471 Posts
Congrats and what a great idea!!!!!

IMHO.....

This is what I would call a complete safety check & service on the vehicle......

Drain/replace all fluids including brake fluid, diff, engine, coolant, trans, power steering.

Replace all coolant/heater hoses

Replace Tires, air filter....

Drain Fuel and rinse tank out.... IIRR, you have an in tank fuel pump/filter so check it carefully you are likely ok. If external filter, then replace it as well.

Check suspension for looseness, replace parts as necessary and grease each component as required (where there is a grease fitting on including driveshaft). Check the front suspension by shaking the wheel assembly at 9/3 o'clock position and 12 o'clock position for looses suspension components. Also jack wheel off ground... use a prybar, etc. to allow you to check for vertical movement which could indicate wheel bearing failure.....visually check all suspension bushings under car as well for cracking, etc.

Fresh gas, time to turn the key!

·
Registered
102 Posts
After sitting so long, I would recommend that when you have completed all of the above suggestions you remove all the spark plugs and pull the fuse for the fuel pump and crank the engine until you get oil pressure. You may want to squirt some oil in the cylinders and let it sit a day or two prior to rolling it over. It pains me when I watch shows that show them basically putting fresh fuel in and then starting the engine, and then immediately revving the snot out of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts