Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else finding that they occasionally try to put it into reverse, think they are actually in reverse, only to find out when the car moves that they are actually in first?

This has happened to me a couple of times, and once almost caused me to run into a parked car while making a tight 3 point u-turn.

While I'm sure I'll get used to it and therefore minimize this happening in the future, it does seem dangerous, particularly for people who may not be used to the car (valet drivers, etc.).

Is this a typical setup on 6-speed tranmissions -- having the R and 1 in basically the same place?

Note -- I'm not griping, just wondering. :wavey

·
Banned
3,124 Posts
Anyone else finding that they occasionally try to put it into reverse, think they are actually in reverse, only to find out when the car moves that they are actually in first?

This has happened to me a couple of times, and once almost caused me to run into a parked car while making a tight 3 point u-turn.

While I'm sure I'll get used to it and therefore minimize this happening in the future, it does seem dangerous, particularly for people who may not be used to the car (valet drivers, etc.).

Is this a typical setup on 6-speed tranmissions -- having the R and 1 in basically the same place?

It's not unheard of, just depends on the transmission design based on where R is. Just take your time. Sometimes I scare myself a bit when going into reverse, too. I'm not worried about it. Just don't press down on the shifter. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yup, what ns said. Meantime, light throttle and let that clutch out slow... :winks

Now coming from almost a decade driving a six speed where reverse was wa-a-ayy over, doglegged off fifth, I had a little learning curve on the Getrag, occasionally getting reverse when I wanted first in traffic with practically no downward pressure on the shifter. But that does seem to happen less and less the more you get used to it.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
This hasn't happened to me yet. This design has been used for quite some time and its almost always found on german transmission. And the mt82 is a german trans..

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I've been taking my time getting to know the feel.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
This hasn't happened to me yet. This design has been used for quite some time and its almost always found on german transmission. And the mt82 is a german trans..

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Wait... MT82 is german..................... What?!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
You have to ensure that you back the shifter completely out of reverse and into neutral prior to shifting into 1st otherwise you'll put it right back into reverse. Not hard to do but easy to "F" it up, just take your time. ;)

·
Registered
170 Posts
German design, manufactured in China...

Mustang II RAD 4spd POS trannies had reverse in the same position, so the MT82 is nothing new to me...but the RAD 4spd did shift way smoother, but also couldn't take much more than 200hp.

·
Registered
544 Posts
This is the European pattern. I perfer it much more to the Tremec pattern were the reverse is next to 5th. Can you imagine grinding reverse while going 80+ MPH.

Back to the subject, you know that in order to go into reverse you have to push the shifter down, right?
So to go into reverse, push the shifter all the way down and to the left, you can tell you are there because you can't go down.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
You have to ensure that you back the shifter completely out of reverse and into neutral prior to shifting into 1st otherwise you'll put it right back into reverse. Not hard to do but easy to "F" it up, just take your time. ;)
Would that be the same as shifting into "F" :hihi:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Another reason I am glad to have the backup camera...makes it easy to know when you are in reverse.

G

·
0 Posts
I'm coming from an Audi A4 so I was pleasantly surprised to find the shift pattern the same. However the Audi shifter had much wider gates so 1st and reverse had much more space between them.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I actually find the first/reverse right next to each other a helpful feature when I need to shift quickly between the two. I've only confused the two a handful of times when I first got the car, and it happens once a month or so at this point.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The side benefit of having the rear view camera and NAV, is that the screen changes when you shift into reverse. I've caught myself in the wrong gear because of this a few times.

On a sidenote, I'm glad that my Focus has a good reverse lockout, I was driving home today almost tried to slide it into a sixth gear it doesn't have. :nono:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Mine still does this ocasionally now at 3500 miles, but it used to happen all the time when the car was new. As the shifter mechanism breaks in, the problem seems to go away. I would back into my garage and then roll forward to straighten the car up, but the gearbox would stay in reverse.

It's not typical in a 6MT gearbox, by the way, but it's not a big deal either.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is the European pattern. I perfer it much more to the Tremec pattern were the reverse is next to 5th. Can you imagine grinding reverse while going 80+ MPH...
Just fyi, I never once had any vague problem with that in 140,000 miles. I don't think the T56 will let you access the reverse dogleg at speed, but even if it does, you have to go far out of your way to try and get it.

It's got long, stiff, meat-head throws, but it's dead consistent - a mistaken reverse grab from a 6-5 downshift is just about impossible in my experience.

Now grabbing SECOND instead of FOURTH on the other hand - :cursing: - THAT was a fun thing to learn not to do in the first 3,000 miles of Camaro ownership.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've had a 96 Camaro SS, 01 Corvette, and an 06 GTO. After about 60k on the clock the reverse lockout either stopped working completely or intermittently.
Downshifting I agree, impossible to get it in the reverse gate, but going from 4th to 5th, I grinded reverse by accident a handful of times until my reverse/first syncros where shot. After the first couple of times I learned to be careful with it, but when I was driving spiritedly I would tend to forget and grind!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Would that be the same as shifting into "F" :hihi:
Yeah, for you "auto V8 guys" shifting into D = F (Fast as f*ck!)

:gringreen

·
Registered
532 Posts
The side benefit of having the rear view camera and NAV, is that the screen changes when you shift into reverse. I've caught myself in the wrong gear because of this a few times.
Ditto... :bigthumbsup

With "Forrest Gump", my MT82, I am often unsure if the car and I agree on which gear has actually been selected, so I have developed the habit of using the rear view camera as confirmation that I have indeed selected reverse...

The reverse "lockout" design/execution/operation in this linkage is surpassed only by the mixerbox in a '61 VW :shigrin. IMO reverse should be far right, against a spring past the 5-6 gate, then aft... out of the way of rapid shifting, and the handle moves the way you want the car to go...

·
Registered
353 Posts
That hasn't happened to me (knock on wood). A couple things I do to ensure it doesn't is put the gear into the gear I'll need next when I shut off the car: Reverse when I'll need to back out, first when I need to drive forward. Even then... when I get in the car and start it, I put it in neutral then pop it into the gear I need.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.