Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
looked under shifting, throttle and no answers. So now I'm asking.

During accel, lift off the throttle and shift, RPM rises. It acts like the PCM is anticipating more input. Say on a mild pull, you shift at 3K, lift, shift, release the clutch, it will pull the R's down. Which is annoying because then the car lurches forward. If you left and wait, then shift, it acts normal.

Second, 90% of the time, going into third on a hard pull is next to none existent. Common problem or not. Those that have had this problem, what did you do to fix it. Don't want to put a shifter in it, then go to dlr with the problem because they will blame the shifter.

The throttle i believe is in the PCM. The shifter could be chassis /engine flex. has done this since new. Has a wopping 300 miles now:happyhapp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No takers?


Went by the dlr. They aren't aware of any throttle related problems. We did an OASIS search on my VIN. The tech is going to call Ford monday for me.

Real nice guy, spent about a half hour jawin'. I'll let all the respondants know what we come up with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
I've experianced that with my V6, where it the tach goes up another few hundred RPM's while im shifting... and don't have my foot on the gas - Definatly repost what Ford says.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tech called back this morning. Ford says the throttle is acting normal and is adaptive. The only adapting I've seen is me:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,003 Posts
Mine does the same... takes some getting used to... I think that the computer expects a sertain throttle after you let the clutch go but if you're just coasting it will rev up a bit... kinda annoying... Can prolly be tuned away...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kj_cinci said:
Mine does the same... takes some getting used to... I think that the computer expects a sertain throttle after you let the clutch go but if you're just coasting it will rev up a bit... kinda annoying... Can prolly be tuned away...
Don't have any issue with coasting. It does seem to take an extended time to return, but the rise in RPM is annoying during shifting. It's like the PCM is anticipating more foot. Hoping it can be tuned out.

Looking towards the Saleen SC, so I'll call about it.
 
G

·
redbullet said:
looked under shifting, throttle and no answers. So now I'm asking.

During accel, lift off the throttle and shift, RPM rises. It acts like the PCM is anticipating more input. Say on a mild pull, you shift at 3K, lift, shift, release the clutch, it will pull the R's down. Which is annoying because then the car lurches forward. If you left and wait, then shift, it acts normal.

Second, 90% of the time, going into third on a hard pull is next to none existent. Common problem or not. Those that have had this problem, what did you do to fix it. Don't want to put a shifter in it, then go to dlr with the problem because they will blame the shifter.

The throttle i believe is in the PCM. The shifter could be chassis /engine flex. has done this since new. Has a wopping 300 miles now:happyhapp
I have both issues. Both are rather annoying, but not sure what / if any can be done 'bout it. I swear folks in the lane next to me or behind me when I shift at 3k must be thinking "that moron doesnt know how to drive a stick" but, its not the case. I'm closing on 1500 miles and it still exhibits this behavior, so I doubt its going away. Might be fixed with a tuner... but I can't afford that atm, nor the possible warranty issues that come with it.

More annoying to me is the shifting into 3rd under hard acceleration. Maybe I'm just not used to it yet, but I seem to think that 3rd gear should be a touch closer to 1st than it is... at least my arm/hand do. Seem to run into a brick wall that seperates em sometimes... I've wondered if one of them short throw shift kits would help that, but not ready to spend $$$ on an experiment. At least not yet. =)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
eyelleye said:
More annoying to me is the shifting into 3rd under hard acceleration. Maybe I'm just not used to it yet, but I seem to think that 3rd gear should be a touch closer to 1st than it is... at least my arm/hand do. Seem to run into a brick wall that seperates em sometimes... I've wondered if one of them short throw shift kits would help that, but not ready to spend $$$ on an experiment. At least not yet. =)
Well, if it helps, I can tell ya that Hurst's Competition Plus shifter gets rid of that problem, or did for me at least. Just push forward at a very slight right angle like you'd expect and there she is...bam!

Only thing with short-throw shifters is the trade-off in shifting effort, it can feel a little "notchy" sometimes so it's not for someone who likes the more plush, smooth long throws and doesn't mind fishing around for gears with the stock unit. But if you like a nice tight link between your right hand and the trans, it's great. I can definitely tell when the synchros are ready to engage the next gear. B&M also has a new unit that looks promising. Steeda's Tri-Ax gets good reviews but is pricier and with a more complex install.

I talked to my dealer before installing my Hurst (since my wife was paranoid about warranty) and they said, well, of course, it will void the warranty on the original shifter, but that's all. Most dealers and mechanics recognize that the aftermarket units which are beefier and more precise actually helps tranny life because it reduces missed shifts, chipped gear teeth, and more positively engages the gears. One dealer actually has on their website some tips for getting more longevity outof your car and one of the first things listed was to install a Hurst shifter. Plus, the "performance" shifter that Ford sells over their parts counter for the '05 Mustang is the same thing, Hurst manufactures it for FRPP with a slightly different finish, stick thread and no white ball. So, Ford must already approve of it, I'd say!

As for the rest of the issue, I've noticed a very slight "high idle" tendency when in neutral and coasting, but nothing really too bothersome, and certainly nothing that makes for odd shifting behavior. Wonder if the clutch switch (the switch that's engaged when the clutch is fully depressed, to allow the starter to kick over) is maybe somehow involved with this, if the computer is looking at clutch position when shifting and compensating by what it sees?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been retitled:laughlitt On the shifting deal, I've been paying more attention. You push up and to the right for third, and when you reach the top pull slightly to the left and it goes in. T'aint right.


I ordered a Hurst shifter sat. I might even get that brace from PHP, I think it was, that mounts it to the trans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
I've experienced this

redbullet,

I too, have experienced the slight throttle rev when shifting. I can say with confidence though, that this condition will improve. Your car only has 300 miles which is nothing. The dealer is correct in saying the car's throttle is adaptive. Give the car another couple thousand miles on the odometer and this condition will greatly improve as the car's computer will 'learn' your driving habits.

I experienced several 'quirks' with the car not normally experienced with previous stickshift Mustangs. With over 5,000 miles now on the car, the car drives great and I no longer experience these quirks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
THe throttle delay your all speaking of is controlled by the ETC (Electronic Throttle Control).

Between shifts, after letting off the pedal, the revs will stay for a few seconds. When downshifting at speed and letting off the throttle, the revs will hang for a few seconds before you get any trans braking.

I spoke to Doug at Bamachips about a tune. I was using a canned JLT tune and it was nice. But the lag / delay persisted. Doug gave me the hook up. No lag on throttle response at all now. Instant off / instant on. No wait for trans braking. Just like it was cabled now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
OK, for mine, with ~2500 miles on it so far, I get a slight jump in RPM (like, 1 or 2 hundred) just as I disengage the clutch and come out of gear to shift. By the time I'm sliding into the next gear the RPM's are already falling into the right range for the next gear.

Watching the tach, it's VERY minor. What I did notice is that going by ear, it sounds like the engine is winding up slightly, and much more than the tach shows. So I get kind of a "rrrrrrRRRRMM...." as I shift out of gear but the shifting behavior and RPM's aren't too unusual. Sounds kinda zoomy actually.

I hope "rrrrRRRMMM..." was a good enough way to describe it. I got spit all over my monitor experimenting with different sounds as I typed. "pppPPPPPTTT..." definitely was not a good idea to try.
 
G

·
Stoopy said:
Well, if it helps, I can tell ya that Hurst's Competition Plus shifter gets rid of that problem, or did for me at least. Just push forward at a very slight right angle like you'd expect and there she is...bam!

Only thing with short-throw shifters is the trade-off in shifting effort, it can feel a little "notchy" sometimes so it's not for someone who likes the more plush, smooth long throws and doesn't mind fishing around for gears with the stock unit. But if you like a nice tight link between your right hand and the trans, it's great. I can definitely tell when the synchros are ready to engage the next gear. B&M also has a new unit that looks promising. Steeda's Tri-Ax gets good reviews but is pricier and with a more complex install.

I talked to my dealer before installing my Hurst (since my wife was paranoid about warranty) and they said, well, of course, it will void the warranty on the original shifter, but that's all. Most dealers and mechanics recognize that the aftermarket units which are beefier and more precise actually helps tranny life because it reduces missed shifts, chipped gear teeth, and more positively engages the gears. One dealer actually has on their website some tips for getting more longevity outof your car and one of the first things listed was to install a Hurst shifter. Plus, the "performance" shifter that Ford sells over their parts counter for the '05 Mustang is the same thing, Hurst manufactures it for FRPP with a slightly different finish, stick thread and no white ball. So, Ford must already approve of it, I'd say!
Thanks for the info on the shifter. Now I'm just going to have to decide which one I want to order. The fishing around for gears is probably my biggest annoyance, which really aint all that much. I've kinda figured a shift kit would tighten it up a bit... so it sounds like that'll be my second mod (did the sequentials on day 2). My arm/hand definitely thinks 3rd gear should be a touch closer to 1st, so the shift kit ought to put myself & the car in snych. Our Alaska PFDs come out next month, so sounds like a good time to go shoppin! =)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
I have actually "reset" my car a couple of times as each time I got a little better response out of it. What I mean is to disconnect the negative side of the battery for 20mins, and re-connect and drive hard for a few days. The computer then re-learns your driving. It has helped me. I did it after I removed the HC trap, and response picked up a slight bit.



Premium Mustang 2005 GT
Torch Red
IUP/Dark Charcoal
Bullit Wheels
Locking Gas Cap
Rocker Stripes
Removed HC trap
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,003 Posts
I dunno wanna steal a thread but will say (not regarding the revs, I'm sorry!) that my Steeda Short-Throw is AWESOME! You move it from 2nd towards 3d and it's THERE! It just 'clicks' in! Just awesome, same from 1st to 2nd, etc. It's short, it's crisp, there is NO way to miss and you hear/feel it's there! Short movements, which is what you 'buy', but the precisivnes is what impresses me, just right there! Click, click, click... they just snap in!!

Now back to the revving issue or I'll have to to start moving posts (not fun!)... :winks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
My GT does the same thing. And I even have the XCal2 tune. Well, I only have 700 miles so far. Some day when we have 'steer by wire' let's hope that when you return the wheel to center that it doesn't just keep turning a little more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kj_cinci said:
I dunno wanna steal a thread but will say (not regarding the revs, I'm sorry!) that my Steeda Short-Throw is AWESOME! You move it from 2nd towards 3d and it's THERE! It just 'clicks' in! Just awesome, same from 1st to 2nd, etc. It's short, it's crisp, there is NO way to miss and you hear/feel it's there! Short movements, which is what you 'buy', but the precisivnes is what impresses me, just right there! Click, click, click... they just snap in!!

Now back to the revving issue or I'll have to to start moving posts (not fun!)... :winks
I don't mind the off topic response. At another forum I go to, we do it all the time. But we've done it since the site started. What I've noticed on the shifter is that it feels like the pattern it tipped slightly to the left at the top of the pattern and the bottom to the right. It does not feel like a straight fore and aft pattern. Regardless, I have my Hurst coming,

The resetting of the computer is a temporary deal. The adaptive abilitly of the PCM is marginal, and only within the parameters set by the factory. The over rev during shifting may minimize itself over time, it won't go away with out tuning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,003 Posts
Yupp... we stray... and that happends...

It's just sad when somebody try to find something out and their thread is hijacked in the 2nd or 3d post with no info on the issue it was started on... I think we solved this issue, or rather agreed there is an issue... :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
622 Posts
the revs thing is a driver's "aid" courtesy of ford. Leastwise I've read that in a couple different mags. My car, if I'm pulling hard and shift around 35~4000 it will shoot the revs up almost 1000. no need to power shift :laughlitt Shifting at 6000, on the other hand doesn't leave much room before the limiter kicks in.

about that wiggling the shifter around to get third... that's just wrong. Get the dealer to fix that
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top