Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at the alter with a 01' rag top... She's beautiful!

This is to be a second car for the little lady... Will the rear wheel drive and the GT power put this car in harms way with a little snow?

I will pull the trigger and buy it or not based on your answers.

Woz

·
Registered
554 Posts
I drove my car in the snow for 3 years here in Ohio. Its no 4x4, but the weight distribution on our cars is not horrible. You'll slide, but it can be done.

You did say "a little snow," right?

:)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Woz said:
I'm at the alter with a 01' rag top... She's beautiful!

This is to be a second car for the little lady... Will the rear wheel drive and the GT power put this car in harms way with a little snow?

I will pull the trigger and buy it or not based on your answers.

Woz
I drive mine through the winter in NH. It's not good, but it's not the worst I've had either. If it doesn't have the Traction Control option (I don't remember if that was standard in 01), it will be virtually undriveable on snow. Even with T/C you will have to put decent tires on it. Either go the dedicated snow tire route (Bridgestone Blizzaks) or get good High Performance All-Seasons. I went with the latter and got Continental ContiExtreme Contacts. They managed to make the car fairly reasonable in the snow.

Remember, it isn't and never will be a "good" snow car. But if you've got a short commute and/or don't have to depend on the Mustang exclusively for transportation, it should be fine.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
They're not bad with good snow rubber on and a couple of sand bags in the trunk.I drove a 02 6cyl Stang through the last 2 winters with the stock all-season tires and never got stuck.We have extreme winters up here in Alberta.Snow,freezing rain,more snow and cold.I've got Michelin X-Ice rubber on steel rims ready to install.Go for it just drive very carefull.:thumbsup

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=X-Ice

·
Registered
169 Posts
this is going to be my first winter with my stang and im not worried at all. my dad has driven his two mustangs (95gt and 03gt) in the snow every winter since 95 and he hasn't had any problems. some winters he put snow tires on and some he didn't. hes never gotten stuck no matter how much snow was no the ground so im not worried. there not the best snow cars but what rear wheel drive car is. just slap a pair of good snow tires on and you should be fine.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I drove mine in the snow last year, and even with TC it was sliipery, but I was still able to drive through 'a little snow'. Stopping is always fun too!
I would never drive it up into the mountains though- way too much snow.

Right now I'm looking for a beater with a heater for winter fun!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I am glad i live in FL now iwht my mustang Gt, but before i lived in NC i had a 87 Full size K5 black on 33 mudders, yea that was so much fun, still not cool to drive in snow, but if you got in a empty area, yea it was. that had not Trac Control either lol....... no ABS.... just driver skill and ability to control your throttle =) never the less becareful lol.. i knew lots of people that thought they were king kong with there 4x4 expeditions and suburbans that ended up in ditch. Take it easy, when it gets bad out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.