Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im looking to replace my stock rims and tires on my 1989 gt.

I have read some of the threads about rubbing issues with too big in the front. Im looking at 17x8s front and back with 245s...think this will work without any rubbing issues? Some of my friends have said they will rub and some say they wont. Any help or clarification would be much appriciated, Thank!~:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have 17x8 245/45/17 (front) & 17x9.5 275/40/17 (rear). The fronts have NEVER rubbed. I did have to roll the inner fender well on the rears. I also have Eibach Spring that lowered the car 1-1/12. You should be fine with 245's all away around. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok cool, i know the fenders changed in 91' from the 89' style and could fit a bigger wheel up front. so im still not sure.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I bought my mustang with 15s on it and put 245-45-17s all the way around. Mabey who ever owned it before me switched the fenders but I doubt it. Look at the pictures in my profile. Go to American Muscle .com they are a site sponser call them if you dont think those rims will fit. If you buy from them they will fit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
oh yeah my rims are 17x9 front and back sorry

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey guys, im looking to replace my stock rims and tires on my 1989 gt.

I have read some of the threads about rubbing issues with too big in the front. Im looking at 17x8s front and back with 245s...think this will work without any rubbing issues? Some of my friends have said they will rub and some say they wont. Any help or clarification would be much appriciated, Thank!~:)
1979-1990 Mustang:

The 1979-90 Mustang had a smaller front fender opening than the 1991-93 Mustang. Without clearance problems or tire rub, the best appearing and performing set up here is to run a 17x8 front wheel with a 245/45/17 tire and for the rear you can run a 17x9 wheel with a 275/40/17 tire with no clearance problems.
Now, If you want to run a 17x10.5 wheel with a 315/35/17 tire on the rear you can, however you will have to remove the rear quad shocks and modify the inner fender with a "Large hammer!". It can be done in your driveway in no time, but every Mustang is different! You may not have to do anything other than just remove the rear quad shocks.

Here is a basic guideline for backspacing for fox-body wheels:
7" width - 4.5" backspace
8" width - 5-5.5" backspace
9" width - 6" backspace
10-10.5" width - 6.5" backspace:bigthumbsup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts