Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 20x8.5 rims on my car now.... will changing to 20x9 make much of a difference?

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Personally I would not bother changing the wheel width unless i was going to change the tires also.

A 9 inch wheel would allow you to run slightly wider tires -- about 1/2" wider. I don't think that is worth the cost and trouble for that alone. But if you are buying new wheels anyway, yes I probably would go up to 9" width . . . assuming you want to run wider tires.

I think I mentioned this before, but -- you can look up the tires you are interested in on Tire Rack, then look at the "specs" tab to see what size wheel is appropriate for them. The "rim width" will show a range of widths; you want to stay toward the wide end of that range, I would suggest the "measuring width" or wider.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The rims I want only come 20 x 9 or I would not bother with it....
Yes I will be changing the tires at the same time so I figured why not get the rims I want too.
I will definitely check out the tire tool to make sure fit will work

Reactions: crjackson

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well just finished chatting with Gill from Tire Rack and I found out that my 255/35/zr20 tires will fit the 20 x 9.0 rims that i have picked out. Now, I just have to figure out what tires I am going to put on the car

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I would love to see photos of the car after you put the new rims on it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would love to see photos of the car after you put the new rims on it.
Will do, it probably will be mid July before the change happens.

Reactions: huberoy123

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, sorry for the absence, but this is the rim I ultimately chose. I am currently waiting for them to arrive from California, then I am having a shop powder coat them white before having my new tires put on.

I will post the final pictures when they are finished.

·
Super Moderator
2,849 Posts
Hey, sorry for the absence, but this is the rim I ultimately chose. I am currently waiting for them to arrive from California, then I am having a shop powder coat them white before having my new tires put on.

I will post the final pictures when they are finished.
View attachment 777692
Dang I would leave them as is as current scheme would look great with your silver car. Though to each their own as your car not mine. Just plugging my thoughts in as I feel we have chatted enough over the recent months we are friends so I guess just feel the need throw my .02 in. haha Also I think I am just biased to white wheels as never seen them on Mustangs really. Mostly see the white wheels on in the Honda world. I notice a lot in the Honda world since picking up my Type R. I am no Honda guy just the Type R was a good replacement to fill in the track and tight corner void from missing my Boss 302, but wanting a GT500. Was a perfect world back then. haha

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dang I would leave them as is as current scheme would look great with your silver car. Though to each their own as your car not mine. Just plugging my thoughts in as I feel we have chatted enough over the recent months we are friends so I guess just feel the need throw my .02 in. haha Also I think I am just biased to white wheels as never seen them on Mustangs really. Mostly see the white wheels on in the Honda world. I notice a lot in the Honda world since picking up my Type R. I am no Honda guy just the Type R was a good replacement to fill in the track and tight corner void from missing my Boss 302, but wanting a GT500. Was a perfect world back then. haha

I consider you a friend as well.... the car that these are going on is white though..... I am going to try them on the car before I paint them to insure fitment in case I need to return them I can. I will take pictures of the rims on as silver and then the white ones.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
White mustang white wheels for reference

·
Super Moderator
2,849 Posts
I consider you a friend as well.... the car that these are going on is white though..... I am going to try them on the car before I paint them to insure fitment in case I need to return them I can. I will take pictures of the rims on as silver and then the white ones.
Oh so these aren't for your silver Mustang. Got it! That makes more sense!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh so these aren't for your silver Mustang. Got it! That makes more sense!
unfortunately I lost the silver one in the 2016 flood here in Louisiana.

·
Super Moderator
2,849 Posts
unfortunately I lost the silver one in the 2016 flood here in Louisiana.
Oh ok is the Mustang in your profile pic your current white Mustang? Almost looks silver. ha

Speaking of floods and Louisiana I hope you fared this hurricane all good!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh ok is the Mustang in your profile pic your current white Mustang? Almost looks silver. ha

Speaking of floods and Louisiana I hope you fared this hurricane all good!
Yes the lighting on those pictures isn't the best..... We didn't lose power but did have some trees come down, but nothing major. Thanks for asking :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My new rims came in today, no visible damage, so just waiting on the powder coat tech to answer when I can drop them off to be painted. 😁

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Well this is the rim in itself original silver color..... what ya’ll think?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Yea, I think powder coating them white is a good move. Maybe add a thin green pinstripe to them?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea, I think powder coating them white is a good move. Maybe add a thin green pinstripe to them?
I would love to add my stripe color to them but unfortunately it’s difficult to match

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
View attachment 777756

Well this is the rim in itself original silver color..... what ya’ll think?
I like the silver, but the white may look good on your car. Especially if you could do the suggested green stripe or rim guard. The sites that sell pinstripes should be able to match your color. Good luck.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like the silver, but the white may look good on your car. Especially if you could do the suggested green stripe or rim guard. The sites that sell pinstripes should be able to match your color. Good luck.
I like the rim guard idea.... but if I can get the pinstripes, where would you place them?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts