Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought 4 new 18X9 rims from my local tire company. After having them installed, I notice the back left tire extends past the fender-weld where the right one does not. I went back to the tire company who sold me the rims, they told me that the back left tire always sticks out farther. Is this BS or has anyone else had this problem? I don't remember my other 18X9 rims having this problem. Anyone's help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
225 Posts
That doesnt sound right at all. What kind of difference are you talking about? Pic?
Either the offset of the rim is off or the axle is not properly aligned me thinks..

·
Dragon Tail Master
2013 Mustang V6 Brembo
2,580 Posts
Is your Car lowered? Since the Panhard bar is mounted to the right side on the frame if your car is lowered or the springs are getting weak it will push the rear end to the left.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
misaligned axle?

The tire place checked the offset and said it was the same as the rest of the wheels. I have not had my car lowered. How would the axle get misaligned? They told me that all cars have the back, left tire farther out than the rest, but I know the rims I took off the car were the same size and there was not one sticking out farther.

·
Registered
221 Posts
First of all, their claim that all cars are like that is pure BS. However, that doesn't necessarily mean it's the rims.

To rule out the rims pull them off and measure the backspace. You can't just measure the front side because the possibility is that the mounting surface on the back side wasn't machined correctly.

If the rims check out then check the axle itself by measuring from the end of the axle out to the body panel (hang a plumb-bob). If both sides don't measure the same you'll need an adjustable panhard bar to bring the axle back to center.

If both the rims and the axle location check out then I dunno... maybe you have body panel or frame damage?

·
Registered
784 Posts
mine does that sometimes, i have 18x10s, it always straightens itself out tho.

·
Dragon Tail Master
2013 Mustang V6 Brembo
2,580 Posts
Another way to find the info on the wheels is on the backside or the Rim itself.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
I recently bought 4 new 18X9 rims from my local tire company. After having them installed, I notice the back left tire extends past the fender-weld where the right one does not. I went back to the tire company who sold me the rims, they told me that the back left tire always sticks out farther. Is this BS or has anyone else had this problem? I don't remember my other 18X9 rims having this problem. Anyone's help will be appreciated.
i think the guy is correct. mine is that way too. never noticed it till i put the wide tires on, and i noticed it right away. but it also depends where i park too, certain uneven spots its more noticeable. it has nothing to do with the rims.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
on a side note, after thinking about this today, i think everyone is a little correct. if your old rims didnt stick out, then the new ones more than likely have a different backset than the old ones. for instance, my 9"x17 have a +33 backspace which sets them out 1/2" farther than say the +45 offset that am sells on the same size/type rim.

with 275`s on the ones i have, one sits about flush with the top of the well, the other sets in just a fuzz. not bad enough to worry about, but i figured the panhard bar would be the answer. if my tire was out past the top of the well, i would not like that at all. a different backspace wheel, or the adjustable bar( if there is room to move it the other way without sticking out) seems like the only options. i know neither one of those ideas sound good at this point :so

·
Registered
167 Posts
Damn, as an anal retentive engineer I am having a hell of a time NOT going out in the garage and measuring mine and RUINING my night! :smilie

I would expect from what I have read that the advise on measuring the axle flanges relative to the fender lips via a plumb bob and then using an adjustable panhard bar to correct the offset would be the best path.

And I am NOT going to measure mine or even EYEBALL it damnit!!! :laugh:

·
Registered
128 Posts
And I am NOT going to measure mine or even EYEBALL it damnit!!! :laugh:

I'll bet you did, just because the curiosity is killin' you!:grinroll:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'll bet you did, just because the curiosity is killin' you!:grinroll:
Your right....I did....I caved! Could not help myself!! :gringreen Good news is, I am equal distance! Whew!!! :bounce2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.