Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put in some crane 1.7rr in it and the car ran really good before the swap. I put them in and now it is burning antifreeze out the tailpipes. I have checked the throttle body and spacer gaskets because i know that there are the two coolant lines that go to the spacer replaced them still doing it. Took the lines of the spacer an just bypassed them still doing it. It is coming out of both pipes so i dont think that it is head gaskets also juat put new head gaskets in about a month ago when did the head swap. what else could cause this what should i check? Thanks anything helps.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sure it is coolant and not oil? Depending on the head, valves, and lift of the cam your retainer could have hit the valve stem seal. This will cause oil to seep past the valve causing the smoking through the pipes.

I had this problem with some old 69' heads, when I went with 1.7s with an F-cam. During a drag race and over reving, the spring retainer slammed and destroyed the valve stem seal - I was smoking down the track and not in a way I wanted.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Make sure if it's the coolant and not oil, the rocker damaging the valve seal would cause it to burn oil.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No it is coolant that is burning it has a very sweet smell plus it is white smoke that is coming out of both pipes equally. I didnt take off the lower intake but i did have the upper off i will pull that of and check that gasket. Are there any lines on the back of the intake that i could have swapped around with a vacuum? Thanks anything helps.

·
Registered
327 Posts
No it is coolant that is burning it has a very sweet smell plus it is white smoke that is coming out of both pipes equally. I didnt take off the lower intake but i did have the upper off i will pull that of and check that gasket. Are there any lines on the back of the intake that i could have swapped around with a vacuum? Thanks anything helps.
Unless you did something to blow a head gasket I think the following theory still applies:

If you only changed the rockers and had the upper intake plenum off, then you did not alter anything that could be coolant and could have caused a coolant leak. I still smell smoke - oil that is. Pull off the valve covers and check for valve seal damage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.