Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I'm looking at replacing my rod bearings as they were starting to show some wear. I've found plenty of companies that make my bearings in .20 oversize (my crank was ground down), but the question is, Which company is the best?

Here are the 3 main companies I have found.
-Sealed Power
-Clevite 77
-Michigan

Which company do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Hey 66 or Cindy, not too familiar with rod bearings, but I just want to make sure when you buy the bearings, you have to get the bore size you have or however much you're going to bore your engine, correct? Would you have to replace the main bearing also? Not familiar with that either.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Hey everybody, I'm looking at replacing my rod bearings as they were starting to show some wear. I've found plenty of companies that make my bearings in .20 oversize (my crank was ground down), but the question is, Which company is the best?

Here are the 3 main companies I have found.
-Sealed Power
-Clevite 77
-Michigan

Which company do you guys think?
Clevite 77 is the best. If the crank has been ground then you want undersize bearings. Oversize is for larger crank bore.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought I would want oversized bearings because they ground .20 off of my crankshaft making my crankshaft smaller. That would mean I need a larger bearing.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
You'll want undersized bearings, meaning they are for an undersized journal. I always use Cleavite 77.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thanks for the undersize/oversize schooling. I had always thought like 66Sprint, and never understood why my father in law insisted on calling thicker bearings underszed. Reading this post got me thinking that I should have removed the oil pan and a bearing before ordering .001 undersized bearings. I just assume that my engine has never been apart. It may already have undersized bearings. Will I be able to tell when I get one out?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
It may already have undersized bearings. Will I be able to tell when I get one out?
If you look on the back of the bearings, it's usually stamped there if it's aftermarket or undersized.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.