Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My buddy at work has a mid-90's model Toyota MR2 with a Japanese-spec engine just installed and the factory turbo cranked up to 17 lbs. It's a go-kart that's pushing around 260-ish HP (if I remember the numbers correctly). After taking a spin, I know my GT with it's CAI and tune would NOT be able to catch it. And I'm okay with that. :bigthumbsup It's a little rough around the edges (needs some exterior TLC), so it'll be fun to hear if anyone tries to run against him thinking it's a beater.

EDIT: oops, I meant "TC'd MR2" in the title... spent too much time reading threads here, obviously!

~SM

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Light weigth and moderate power makes for a very fun ride!! I was strongly considering a Lotus before I bought my GT500. It probably would have been a more "practical"car for the narrower roads and higher gas prices where I live.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
726 Posts
You never know what you will run up against. There is a lot of people that are more interested in go than show!

·
Registered
784 Posts
And those things are light too!

... and I fixed the title. :)
"Rode is a turbocharged MR2 today"

yup you sure fixed it alright :shigrin

·
Registered
97 Posts
Light weigth and moderate power makes for a very fun ride!! I was strongly considering a Lotus before I bought my GT500. It probably would have been a more "practical"car for the narrower roads and higher gas prices where I live.:bigthumbsup
same here i was looking at an exige or elise. those new evoras are sexy bishes :drool:

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Those are neat little cars. Kinda like a 260 hp skateboard.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, it's a pretty cool car. It has T-tops, which I love. He's having a bit of trouble out of the old mechanical boost controller though... it can't seem to keep the boost pressure constant as he hits the higher rpms, and it starts fading. His tuner guy told him he needed to get an updated electronic one. The whole reason behind this upgrade was a blown head gasket. By the time he factored in parts and labor just to have it fixed, he could get this JDM engine with 50k miles on it (his stock US engine has almost 3 times that) for just a little more.

The thing is also running straight pipes. Sounds almost like an exhaust leak, but quieter thanks to the turbo interference. A 4 cyl. with straight pipes doesn't make a very nice sound. :nogrinner

~HA

·
Registered
221 Posts
Glad you didn't go with the Lotus. I've been to Seattle... there are more Lotus Elise's in the pacific northwest than Starbucks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.