Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true that you can reuse the lifters from a roller cam onto a new roller cam, provided they are inspected and found in good shape?

Dag B

Norway

·
Registered
897 Posts
It might be true,....but I suggest you DON'T...why?...you're rolling the dice. It's cheaper to use a brand new set everytime you replace a cam and prevent re-doing the intake, valve covers, etc if one of them starts showing a collapsing problem (noise).
BTSTDTRT, it's worth the insurance....although in your case, it might set you back more than the $100 a new set costs (shipping, customs, etc to Norway)......... You can remove them and inmediately sink them in a container with engine oil, keep them in the oil until you're ready to re-install them....Roller lifters are not subject to the wear patterns flat tappet lifters suffer from, it's a matter of the hydraulics. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, neither the lifters nor the cam were worn in any way, and there weren't any noises from the engine what so ever, apart from the lovely V8 rumble :)

Guess I'll take my chances... or can it hurt the cam in any way?

Dag B.

Norway

·
Registered
897 Posts
little_e said:
Well, neither the lifters nor the cam were worn in any way, and there weren't any noises from the engine what so ever, apart from the lovely V8 rumble :)

Guess I'll take my chances... or can it hurt the cam in any way?

Dag B.

Norway
Nope....it shouldn't do any damage. GL

·
Registered
721 Posts
STOPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!! Do NOT reuse your roller lifters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just learned the hard way when one of my "reused" roller lifters grenaded and ate my brand new custom cam, sucking out a cam bearing in the process, and requiring the engine to be pulled out and torn down to fix the damage.

New ones are about $100. Don't risk it.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I used new lifters on my cam + head swap. You can find someone on ebay usually will pay atleast $30 for them so it doesnt work out too bad.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Lifters won't be cheap for him - he's in Norway! I reused lifters on a mild cam and things were OK. Get much spring pressure and cam lift and things change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.