Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey yall,
my rockers for my 289 are shot so i was lookin at puttin in a set of roller rockers but i'm not sure if this is wise. what would i need to do to put them in? i know u need to get taller valve covers to clear them but as far as shortenin any thing i've heard valve springs and i've heard pushrods. are either of these necessary to install them? are there any other things that need to be changed? if so what?
thanks

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Hello Red_hot_66 I used Comp Cams Magnum Steel Roller Rockers in my 289 and they are a dirrect fit in place of the stock rocker arms, there was no modication at all. However, they are not "full" rollers, they are roller tip, with an improved fulcrum that still slides like the original style. As far as the aluminum full roller rockers, I am not sure, maybe contact the manufacturer of the brand you are interested in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
rollers - cool

Hi, I am interested in this subject too. My rockers are not shot I just like the idea. The valve train lasts a lot longer due to the reduced heat and no sideways force on the valve stem. I imagine you can buy pedestal mounted roller rockers for your 289. I have been looking at Scorpion Rockers, they look nice, and I have heard a few good reports on them. You need the pedestal mounted rockers otherwise you will need to machine your heads to fit the shaft rockers. You will probably not need to shorten anything unless you have serious head wear / valve seat recession, in which case you should get a head job done anyway... :) Are you sure your heads are good?
I have also heard good things about the roller tip rockers too.
Hope that helps some.
cheers n beers Mick

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well thanks yall. yea my heads are good i just got them back from the machine shop. the fellers there said i'd have to have 3/8 stud mount cause thats the set up i had and that i couldn't use pedestal mounted ones. not quite sure now that you said i'd have to have the pedastal mounted if you could tell me where you get your info that would be cool. thanks again yall.

·
Registered
27 Posts
pedestal mounted rockers

I suggested that you might find a set of pedestal mounted rockers that would fit. I dont know if they are made but I wouldnt be surprised that they are since most rocker types will generally suit a family of engines. Eg the Comp Cams Roller Tip will fit 289-302-351W engines The information I found on the web says the pedestal mount Scorpions will fit your 289 heads. It even says they are for 3/8 studs! Geez, you can even choose what rocker ratio you want! See link http://www.flatlanderracing.com/scorpionrockers.html#fordSB
I bet there are heaps of rockers out there.
Cracker says he has roller tip rockers from Comp Cams. They are good rockers. If you are really serious about the full roller setup then you need to contact the rocker manufacturer or a good supplier and ask their advice. Maybe your engine guy is not up to date on the latest stuff available. I would look around for more info and maybe a new engine guy. (unless he's your mate)
cheers Mick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.