Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a family member says to me, "So what happens if you roll your brand new convertible over with the top down?"

I said, "Probably the same thing as if I roll my vert over with the top up: get my head taken off or crushed."

Then I got to thinking, some convertibles have those little headrest rollbars and some have full rollbars (or lightbars). Do those things really offer any protection? Does the vert Mustang somehow offer any protection in a rollover, or is it curtains for the driver and passengers?

·
Registered
260 Posts
You have no rollbar. What other protection do you see? None except some light framework and cloth. The only difference about the top being up or down is how much of the asphalt you'd see coming at you if you did roll. This is normal.

Don't mean to sound fatalistic - convertibles are great and all. I lost a buddy in high school who had a convertible '69 Pymouth Barracuda. Flipped it as we were rat-racing out of some foothills onto a straightaway that had a drop/dip. He was ahead of us (3 other cars - my 66 Mustang, a '70 GTX and a 68 Firebird) and we all saw it happen. Only positive note about it was that he didn't take any passengers with him. Closed casket funeral.

Enjoy it, drive SAFE and be well!

·
Registered
816 Posts
drbino said:
Then I got to thinking, some convertibles have those little headrest rollbars and some have full rollbars (or lightbars). Do those things really offer any protection? Does the vert Mustang somehow offer any protection in a rollover, or is it curtains for the driver and passengers?
The lightbars you see on some (soon to be on mine :laughlitt ) are cosmetic only. The manufacturer even states that they are NOT rollbars. If you are worried about rollovers, then I guess you should invest in a quality custom-made rollbar for your vert. Otherwise, make sure your will is up-to-date. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I installed the CDC light bar and I believe it would offer some degree of protection, although I wouldn't want to find out. I believe they say it does not offer protection in their literature to eliminate any libality. Chrome up rubber down. :thumbsup

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think this is the trend in new verts for some reason. My brother has an 05 corvette c6 vert and his has no rollbar either, I think that's why the vert weighs an additional 3-400 lbs to keep it from rolling in the first place. I know I'd feel better with some sort of bar behind me, but I guess you'd lose even more space for your kids or midget passengers in the back....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Also, I am almost certain that the windshield frame on a vert is strenghtened so that there's passenger room when it flips.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There is a federal mandate in 07 (i think) that Verts have some sort of rollover protection. Bimmers have those flyout rollbars that are hidden unless your flip.

Kinda cool.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NickDC123 said:
Also, I am almost certain that the windshield frame on a vert is strenghtened so that there's passenger room when it flips.
Yeah, something like that sounds reasonable, and I was wondering if the frame was strong enough to not only support the weight of the car, but the weight of the car plus any additional energy that went into that windshield frame when the car was flipping end over end at 60 mph. I doubt it though.

Then again, what makes the coupe any safer? The only extra structural metal that it has over the vert are the door frames and that little bit of rear windshield frame. I bet any rollover with decent energy behind it would flatten the top of a coupe as well.

·
Registered
418 Posts
drbino said:
Then again, what makes the coupe any safer? The only extra structural metal that it has over the vert are the door frames and that little bit of rear windshield frame. I bet any rollover with decent energy behind it would flatten the top of a coupe as well.
I'll be driving the coupe when we test that thank you. heh

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Here is a thought

Now maybe I am bit optimistic, but I have owned convertibles for 20 years, I have never flipped one or rolled on over (knock on wood). However, I do recognize there is significant risk in owning such. I like the light bar concept, but if you want too, I am sure you could have a custom roll bar installed, and somehow modify the light bar to cover up the upper portion of the roll bar. Then you get cosmetic looks with a degree of practibility. I have an '05 GT Vert, and I have gone with the light bar myself, but I may check into the roll bar thing as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts