Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right, I know it's sacreligious, but I do leave the hotrod outside... I've noticed that even if it only sits for a couple of days, if there's rain or moisture in the air, my rotors rust! Of course it wears off the first time I drive it, but can this really be good?? At the least, it LOOKS pretty crappy! Has anyone installed any kind of brake dust shield or anything that hides this? Suggestions?

·
Registered
36 Posts
rotor rust

I have seen some aftermarket companies offering rotors that are SUPPOSED to be rust resistant.[some sort of plating on the rotors] However I do not have any first hand experience with them. Good luck on this one, I bet there is quite a few people with the same problem.
MN. Scooter

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
fordgrl99 said:
All right, I know it's sacreligious, but I do leave the hotrod outside... I've noticed that even if it only sits for a couple of days, if there's rain or moisture in the air, my rotors rust! Of course it wears off the first time I drive it, but can this really be good?? At the least, it LOOKS pretty crappy! Has anyone installed any kind of brake dust shield or anything that hides this? Suggestions?
You are NOT going to want to apply anything to the rotors, it will take away from the braking ability. There is absolutley no harm in that surface rust.
When you wash your car, it will do the same thing.
Face it, one day that car will someday be someone's refridgerator. :laughlitt

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I dont thin kthats rust on there. The break pad rubs up against it, and if you feel the actual rotor, there's some kinda residue. I think its just from the water interacting with the residue on there. But that's just a hypothetical. IT might be rust...either way, it doesnt matter really to the rotor when it gets like that. Not a lot of harm.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Like PC said when you wash it this happens.
Even when I wash my car inside the shop. 20-30 minutes you can see it form.
Couple of stops it will be gone. I agree it is ugly. And I notice it drips onto the inside of the wheel, which looks nasty.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Rotor Rust

I agree with you guy's, the rust wont really hurt anything if the car doesn't sit for long periods.[months to years]. And correct, you never want to put anything on your rotors. But, I think she is more concerned about the look.

·
Registered
100 Posts
the rust on your rotors is just the metal's way of protecting itself. All rotors will do this--my neighbors BMW 7-series does it, my Murano did it....

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
What is it protecting itself from?

·
Registered
100 Posts
The metal is producing rust as a protection against rust...it's circular, sure...but a thin layer of rust forms a seal between the good metal and the outside world.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Stoenr said:
What is it protecting itself from?
From the evil rotors that want to take over.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
pcfrisch said:
From the evil rotors that want to take over.
I was gunna say Camaro's....they have cooties.

·
Registered
145 Posts
LOL camaro cooties! i love it

G

·
Brake pads have metalic bits in them. What you see are not the rotors rusting but the rusting brake dust particles.
Leave 'em alone.
To remove simply start car, drive it and then apply brakes. It mysteriously goes away.

There are some aftermarket pads that claim to be "rust free".

Least of my worries atm...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Whether we're talking rotors or not, raw iron will form a light rust film within minutes if there's any moisture present. Even if an iron part has not been subjected to liquid water, there's enough moisture in the air (unless you live in the desert) to form rust. Even worse where I live. Florida is one of the most humid states in the nation. This is why iron or steel parts are coated with grease or cosmoline from the factory. I'm a machinist by trade, CNC programmer by occupation. One thing a machinst does before making a setup on his machine is knock down any high spots on his machine table with a stone. I've done this many times myself, and the fresh metal exposed by such abrasion will form a light coating of orange rust in mere minutes. It's just chemistry in action.

Fear not, this rust film will not do your rotors any harm, and there's nothing you can (or should) do to prevent it. Simply realize that this is the way the world works, and sleep well. The first time you step on the brakes it will be wiped away like windsheild wipers do to rain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts