Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"Nobody is saying much here so I'll jump in and say my bit. I think that most people are using third party springs, struts and anti-roll bars because they were first into the market. I know that my choices were limited by this but I bought products from companies that I had good experience with in the past or knew that had been developed carefully. It has been my experience with Ford performance parts that Ford is usually late to market with products that are not particularly effective when compared to third party offerings. But this is not always the cae.

In some cases Ford simply buys and sells third party products to have something to sell in the catagory for those who will only put a Ford part on their car. This can be good if they pick a good part and of course bad if they don't. I have to say that the Ford offerings are reasonably priced but consider that you rarely get more than you pay for especially from a big car maker.

Look at the FRPP strut and damper kit, it lacks adjustable dampening and at that price point is not likely to be gas charged. For a performace strut and damper kit thess are essential features to have. The Ford '05 spring kit looks a lot like Eibach's progressive kit for the '05 as does their anti-roll bar kit. The Ford strut/damper kit and spring combination will cost about $200 less than buying a set of fully adjustable gas charged Tokico D Spec struts & dampers with a set of Eibach springs. I'd say that the Tokico/Eibach kit will be much more effective and is clearly more tuneable than the Ford offerings.

Both of the Eibach kits are good parts that are very effective but you will never know and Ford will not say where they get them from or what the spring or bar rates are. If you buy a set of springs and shocks send them to me before you install them and I'll measure them on a spring tester and shock dyno if you want me to.

BTW, before you go jump on a set of anti-roll bars you should consider initally only buying a set of sport dampers and springs and the parts necessary to correct your suspension geometry after lowering the car. Anti-roll bars are a band-aid for the poor geometry of a street car. Once you increase your spring rates with a sport spring kit and have them under control with a good set of dampers you'll need to correct the problems created by the lowering springs. To do this you'll need an adjustable panhard bar to re-center the rear axle under the car and a set of brackets (BMR makes a good set), on the rear axle to lower the axle side lower control arm mounting points. To restore the correct A-arm angles in front you'll need a taller ball joint or reposition the chassis side pickup points (using FRPP A-arms or Steeda's kit), add a couple of braces (HD panhard bar brace, front lower arm brace etc.), to the chassis to support the stiffer spring and damper rates. You will also need a set of adjustable control arms in the rear to correct the pinion angle changes from the lowering springs to minimize power loss and vibration through the drive shaft U-joints. Once you do this work you will likely find that roll bars are not needed any more unless you are using R spec or racing tires. And your NVH rates will be much lower as will you suspension's suppleness over bumps particularly when cornering hard because you didn't couple the left and right sides uner turning loads with an anti-roll bar.

HTH"

HTH,

Thanks for that text, great info!

I have the Eibach Pro springs and with that a pretty rough ride, prolly allot due to my wheels, 19x9 with 275-35-ZR19 Michelins.

I am adding Eibachs Anti-Roll kit and Steedas Bump-Stears... any sugestions on how to keep the handeling and get some more comfort? I don't really care about it being a bit rough it's just the slamming over creases, potholes (that I try to avoid) etc. in my everyday commute...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
kj_cinci said:
HTH,

I have the Eibach Pro springs and with that a pretty rough ride, prolly allot due to my wheels, 19x9 with 275-35-ZR19 Michelins.

I am adding Eibachs Anti-Roll kit and Steedas Bump-Stears... any sugestions on how to keep the handeling and get some more comfort? I don't really care about it being a bit rough it's just the slamming over creases, potholes (that I try to avoid) etc. in my everyday commute...

Thanks in advance!
- really short sidewall on those tires so it's going to be stiff - what tire pressure are you running?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
38 PSI.

They are VERY hard in the sidewall, it takes the wheel shop 25 minutes to take one of in reusable shape!!!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
kj_cinci said:
38 PSI.

They are VERY hard in the sidewall, it takes the wheel shop 25 minutes to take one of in reusable shape!!!
- I'd check around some more; sounds like a couple of pounds too much air but can be wrong - makes big difference in ride quality.

·
Registered
659 Posts
kj_cinci said:
HTH,

Thanks in advance!
Hi kj,

With tires larger than 18" you are going to have a much harsher ride because of the low profile tires you have to run. Those low profile tires plus the fact that the stock Ford OEM Tokico supplied struts and dampers are over valved on compression and under valved on rebound are not helping your ride issues with the sport springs. Adding the Eibach anti-roll bars will only make the ride worse as every little bump is going to be transmitted to BOTH sides of the car by coupling them with anti-roll bars.

So if ride is important to you don't add anti-roll bars but seriously consider adding a set of Tokico's new adjustable D-spec struts and rear dampers to your car. I'd suggest turning the D-spec's dampening rates down front and rear to Tokico's recomended inital setting of 5 turns down from the full stiff setting to soften the car's ride over sharp impacts while still retaining good control over body motion. I'm a very performance oriented driver and have the standard 17" Neros on stock Ford bullets. With an Eibach ProKit spring kit installed I'm running 2 turns out from full stiff on the Tokico D-spec dampers front and rear with a very good comfort level.

I recently ran my '05 Mustang GT from L.A. up to Monterey via Route 1 with these settings to shoot the Laguna Seca Historic Auto Races at the end of last month. I could not be happier with the Mustang's road holding, response and comfort levels and the car is very poised at all speeds (I hit over 150MPH on I-5 on the south bound leg). I drove up on Route 1 and I had fast company for most of the entire trip. I ran almost the whole trip up the coast route with a C5 and C6 Corvette, a Porsche Carrera 4S, a stock looking '05 Mustang and some nut in a really nice looking Super 90. There were a few late comers to our little impromptue rally up the coast route and some came and went or could not or would not hang with the alpha dogs.

All of the core group were going up to Laguna Seca for various reasons, some of us for work and some pleasure. We all passed and played tag as we sped up the coast and the whole bunch stopped for a fuel break together and we got to talk a bit. The other '05 Mustang and the Super 90 just couldn't keep up in the turns and straights and they also did not pass well but there was enough traffic to allow us to back off and stay together. It was a BLAST! I want to do the California 1000 in a few months! Same route leaving from L.A. up Route 1 to the bay and back down to the Petersen Museum in L.A. for a finishing point. What a car, WOW!

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
ive got 19s on my gt and i dont feel any drastic difference in ride quality except it is more responsive... ive also got sportline springs...

·
Registered
897 Posts
I went the complete other direction with my suspension.

I began by installing the Steeda Front and Rear Anti-Sway bars first.

I didn't notice any increase in NHV after installing them. What I did find was a car with much more neutral handling and better turn in.

I then installed the Billet Strut Tower Brace, G-Trac Brace and Rear Shock Tower Braces to stiffen up the car a little.

The next step was installing the Adjustable Third Link which eliminated the wheel hop I was getting at the drag strip.

Once my top plates were replaced for the front end popping TSB I went to town and installed the Panhard Brace, Adjustable Panhard Bar, Billet Lower Control Arms,Sport Springs,Adjustable End Links, Billet Camber Kit
(All Parts Steeda).

I have ordered the Tokico D-Spec shocks and will be installing them soon.
This should eliminate the porpoising when going over expansion joints.

The overall comfot level is excellent since I am still riding on the stock 17" wheels.

I will find out next spring what it'll feel like to be riding on 19" wheels

·
Registered
659 Posts
TurrizT said:
ive got 19s on my gt and i dont feel any drastic difference in ride quality except it is more responsive... ive also got sportline springs...
Hi Turriz,

What wheels, make and model tires and what size tires are you running? What air pressure are you running in our tires? Are they cast or forged wheels? Any other suspension hop ups?

Cheers

G

·
thump_rrr said:
I went the complete other direction with my suspension.

I began by installing the Steeda Front and Rear Anti-Sway bars first.

I didn't notice any increase in NHV after installing them. What I did find was a car with much more neutral handling and better turn in.

I then installed the Billet Strut Tower Brace, G-Trac Brace and Rear Shock Tower Braces to stiffen up the car a little.

The next step was installing the Adjustable Third Link which eliminated the wheel hop I was getting at the drag strip.

Once my top plates were replaced for the front end popping TSB I went to town and installed the Panhard Brace, Adjustable Panhard Bar, Billet Lower Control Arms,Sport Springs,Adjustable End Links, Billet Camber Kit
(All Parts Steeda).

I have ordered the Tokico D-Spec shocks and will be installing them soon.
This should eliminate the porpoising when going over expansion joints.

The overall comfot level is excellent since I am still riding on the stock 17" wheels.

I will find out next spring what it'll feel like to be riding on 19" wheels
Hey thump_rrr, I think you have one of the most Steeda heavy modded Ponys out there reg the '05's. I am now looking into my suspension phase as my exterior and performance phase are complete now (less the S/C :p).
Can you take some pix and give a nice write up on your sweet Steeda suspension parts?
I am very interested in this brand for my Pony too.

I was thinking to start, just the rear lowering springs for now with adj panhard, just to start.

I am keeping my stock 17" Bullitts, love em but, the rubber gunna be gone soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
donnyonee said:
turritz
what other mods besides ths sport springs?
don
Right now for my suspension thats it... I got a few mods on order tho...
I want the tokiko adjustable gas shocks. i think they are called d spec?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts