Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting close to ordering a Roush Supercharger for my 2006 Roush Stage 1. I know that this charger is expensive compared to others out there for the performance gains realized, but I don't need more H.P. than what this kit will give. I also want the powertrain warrenty that this kit comes with that others do not. I figure that is the main reason this kit is more money. You are paying for the warrenty. Roush lists it at $5699.00 on their website. I have found if for as much as $6500.00 on some other sites. I am not sure why some are showing it higher than what Roush is publishing. I found it on e-Bay for as low as $4999.00 plus about $115.00 shipping. I have two questions.

1) I would like feed back from any of you running this set up? Any glitches? Any down sides? Positives?

2) Does anyone have a line on where to get the best deal on this system? Buying it off e-Bay scares me.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sincerely,

Chris B.

·
Registered
183 Posts
So Roush will warrantee the engine/transmission regardless of who does the install & tuning? What is covered under this warrantee if you push a rod through the block or crack a piston? You may want to check to see what is covered first to see if the cost justifies the expense.

·
Registered
332 Posts
cgbexec said:
I am getting close to ordering a Roush Supercharger for my 2006 Roush Stage 1. I know that this charger is expensive compared to others out there for the performance gains realized, but I don't need more H.P. than what this kit will give. I also want the powertrain warrenty that this kit comes with that others do not. I figure that is the main reason this kit is more money. You are paying for the warrenty. Roush lists it at $5699.00 on their website. I have found if for as much as $6500.00 on some other sites. I am not sure why some are showing it higher than what Roush is publishing. I found it on e-Bay for as low as $4999.00 plus about $115.00 shipping. I have two questions.

1) I would like feed back from any of you running this set up? Any glitches? Any down sides? Positives?

2) Does anyone have a line on where to get the best deal on this system? Buying it off e-Bay scares me.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sincerely,

Chris B.
Check with ToolTime

http://www.mustangclub.com.mx/forums/showthread.php?t=52251

To keep the Roush warranty, you have to use the Roush programming. But from what has been print, the output is within the limits of the drivetrain limits.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
i read too many posts about pushing a rod through the block to ever risk a supercharger on this car...at least not till the extended warranty is up.

·
Registered
599 Posts
The boys seem to know what they are talkin bout........ http://www.kennebell.net/
.........I probably wont ever have forced induction, but if I did...:winks I would start here.
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Roush?

I was looking at this month's issue of Mustang Enthusiast which has a discussion on the Stage 2 and 3 Roush's. I like the way the Roush looks, but it's performance seems low. They claimed a best 1/4 mile Et of 13.52 at 104.68. Those numbers seem disappointing considering Roush claims an increase of 110 hp.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Preacher said:
I was looking at this month's issue of Mustang Enthusiast which has a discussion on the Stage 2 and 3 Roush's. I like the way the Roush looks, but it's performance seems low. They claimed a best 1/4 mile Et of 13.52 at 104.68. Those numbers seem disappointing considering Roush claims an increase of 110 hp.
Yeah funny! ... we could go just as fast in the 1/4 N/A because they have to fight a lot more wheel spin / traction issues and in the end it must be a real dissapointment to realize that. Then more money to spend on the car to get it to hook and pray tell then it would never hook on the street maybe loose races but make a heck of a neat "patch" and sound good as hell....

·
Registered
80 Posts
supercharger

I am also considering the Roush as well.They spent 6 million on R&D for this.They know what the engine will take in the way of boost.It is set up with 5 psi of boost but can go as high as 8psi.I asked a Ford dealer that installs them about the warranty,they said the computer logs all data & they will know if you have been red lining the car or drag racing it.It is the only Ford approved supercharger to install.Hey the new Shelby comes with a Roush supercharger! What does that tell you.All other superchargers would require lots of dyno tuning,not a Roush,they got it down pat.

·
Registered
151 Posts
We got many S/C cars in the 11's with good tire on the back, so don't let anything make you think 13.50's are the norm for S/C car. 440-450RWHP with good drag radials on the back is good for 11.60's at 118mph. Plus having 400+ ft/lbs of torque at 2500 RPM is a kick in the pants on the street. I've got 10K miles on my setup at 440RWHP and I getting ready to push to 475-500 on stock block, so we'll see how long she holds up!!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
FYI the Saleen S/C is also warranty approved by Ford..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Once the Super Charger is installed, Ford no longer warranties the engine and drive train, but Roush does. They cover everything that the original Ford Warranty would cover for 3 Years or 36,000 miles from the original in service date. They are claiming a gain of 112 H.P. over stock. That would be 412 H.P. at the Flywheel. I don't know what that would give you at the rear wheels. I would guess that it would be somewhere around 375 H.P. at the rear wheels. That should be good for mid to low 13's in the quarter without changing the rear end gears from stock. Not bad for esentially a stock sports car with just a super/charger that is very streetable. I don't want a drag car. If I did, I would have bought just a plain GT and started from there. The Roush weighs more than a stock GT and with 18"X10" rims front and back. This car was meant to be driven not just in a straight line. I am just looking for a little more seat of the pants push from additional Horsepower. If anyone has this set up, please let us know what you think.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just to let you know. The roush s/c kit was absolutely complete, new injectors, spark plugs were included. The 60 pages of instructions were well written and easy to follow. All the parts were packaged in individual kits.Everything fit so well that It was like Ford had made the kit themselves. I sent PCM to them to flash in the prepaid fedbox they provided in the kit. It runs perfect right out of the box!!!!! It looks oem when installed. If anybody is ever thinking of doing the install them selves this is the kit. I've built plastic models thet were harder then this to do. I looked at other brands and sure maybe more horsepower with a lot of experimenting but the thing that turned me off from them was they just look like the were added on and not a factory look. Myself I like the clean look under the hood.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The Saleen also has an OEM apperance also. But it's a matter of personal preference. As with the roush, a good tune from a reputalble tuner will put the Factory Rouch tune in the dirt. I know the saleens were about 375-385RWHP in stock trim. With a couple minor mods. (MAF, injectors, and better tune) mine is at 440RWHP and I'll be close to 480RWHP in a couple weeks with a new pulley, pumps, and new tune. These things with S/C's on them really make them fun to drive!!!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I have decided that I am now accepting donations to help fund my supercharger.

You can pm me to get details on where to send the money. Thanks in advance.
:happyhapp

(Yeah, I'm quite jealous, Nice installs Ya'll!)

·
Registered
151 Posts
do ya take paypal....hehehe

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know that some of you are approaching 500 RWHP on stock lower ends. I just don't want that kind of stresses in a daily driver. I would be happy with 375 - 400 RWHP. That should not affect engine life severly enough to have to worry about it for at least 75000 miles I would think. If anyone has a better idea of what this engine can stand up to and for how long It would be great if you could chime in. Thanks Tool Time. The installation looks great. I may try the install myself over the Summer. I am just to busy to attempt it now. If I do it earlier, I will pay someone to install it. I will probablly have the local Ford dealer install it unless someone has a better idea for a shop in SW Florida.

Thanks,

Chris B.

·
Registered
151 Posts
cgbexec said:
I know that some of you are approaching 500 RWHP on stock lower ends. I just don't want that kind of stresses in a daily driver. I would be happy with 375 - 400 RWHP. That should not affect engine life severly enough to have to worry about it for at least 75000 miles I would think. If anyone has a better idea of what this engine can stand up to and for how long It would be great if you could chime in. Thanks Tool Time. The installation looks great. I may try the install myself over the Summer. I am just to busy to attempt it now. If I do it earlier, I will pay someone to install it. I will probablly have the local Ford dealer install it unless someone has a better idea for a shop in SW Florida.

Thanks,

Chris B.
The going consensus on these is around 450-500RWHP with good tune and proper fuel delivery, and less than 6500RPM MAX. I've seen an auto let go at 480RWHP, but that relates to around 490 with a manual. Most of the other "casualties" I've seen are in the 560RWHP range and spinning 7K RPM or so. I've seen 581RWHP on a procharger car, and it's still alive. Vortech's blew up at 16psi and 600RWHP or so, but it made a 192MPH run some time before that also!!! Personally, I'd stay under 500RWHP, 475 or so and keep the RPM's down. With a S/C'd engine, you don't need to rev the piss out of her. Let the S/C do the work down low. Espcecially a twinscrew, they make all their power under 6500RPM. That reminds me, all of the ones that have died, have been Centrifugal blowers, not PD's like the Saleen, KB, or Rouch. If you're worrried about tuning, get a couple tunes. ONe "Street" version that is mild (425) and designed for pump fuel, and one "Kill mode" at (500) for track use. I'm probably tuning mine for 500 or so at sea level, since I'll only see 80% of that here in ABQ at 5K feet. I loose 20% because of elevation. I've been at 440 for 10K miles now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts