Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still leaning towards the roush blower, but have a couple questions for those with them installed.

1) how is the supplied tuning done, does roush use something like the Sct tuner? Reason I ask, is I am hoping to use a off road x-pipe and would like to turn of the CEL.

2) does anyone have independent dyno numbers of this blower?

3) how is the daily driveablity with the roush? I'm sure being a TVS desighn, it's close to factory.

4) finally, what's gas mileage like compared to stock. NA I'm getting around 18 mpg in town.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I don't personally have the Roush TVS. However, I believe those that do get it see about 475rwhp with the stock pulley.

I'm not sure about the tuner.

A PD (positive displacement) supercharger feels almost no different than stock, until you hit boost.

My fuel economy took a small hit. 3.55's with N/A I got 16 mpg city and 24 or 25 highway, with 3.73's and my Whipple HO, I get 13-14.5 city and 22 highway.

G

·
0 Posts
VMP tuning in Florida has a Roushcharged '11 running high 9 second 1/4 miles and is still street driven. They are among the leaders in Roush tuning and can take care of your needs. A google search will yield you more information.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VMP tuning in Florida has a Roushcharged '11 running high 9 second 1/4 miles and is still street driven. They are among the leaders in Roush tuning and can take care of your needs. A google search will yield you more information.
I'm not looking to take my car to a tuner, I plan to do the install myself. As a result I'd like to know how the roush tune is performed. Also, I prefer independent user dyno results, I always take manufacturer and shop supplied dyno's with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
775 Posts
you mail just the ECU bk to them and they work there magic. as such i have a feeling this is more then a SCT piggy back kinda deal.

i have found them willing to make custom changes, like from 355 to 410 gears, but thats a smog legal change. that said other after tuners have in the past had problems tweaking the roush calibration.

roush has a reputation of having best daily drivability of all the blowers on the market.

your mpg will suffer a little but the hp you gain makes it a worth while sacrifice. roush blowers tend to turn bk at least what is promised but often they have higher hp numbers then published.

G

·
0 Posts
I'm not looking to take my car to a tuner, I plan to do the install myself. As a result I'd like to know how the roush tune is performed. Also, I prefer independent user dyno results, I always take manufacturer and shop supplied dyno's with a grain of salt.

I was not suggesting you take your car to VMP, but to have them tune it. By the blower, install it, load their e-mail tune. Drive over to a dyno and call Justin Starkey at VMP while it gets strapped down. With the wheels spinning he can adjust the tune to perfection.

I was relaying how VMP in particular has built a reputation for tuning the Roushcharger for 2011 5.0 mustangs.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
vmp is great. I will for sure call Justin to tune my car when i slap a blower on it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aso the roush kit requires the ecu to be mailed in???

Can vmp tune from offsite? I'm new to the domestic world and know that would have been impossible on a BMW.,,"

·
Registered
893 Posts
Doc these guys will not steer ya wrong:bigthumbsup even though I ended up going with the Kenne Bell 2.8 blower,

I took a long hard look at the Roush kit from VMP.They were great to deal with and I'm in Cali so no complete kit with tune from Roush.Justin will deal with you on a personal level and like they said he can remote tune like many of the other top tuners.

heck his wife has a 10sec car:kooky:

·
Registered
180 Posts
THIS is one of my BIG Pet Peevs with ALL the 5.0 Blowers, you pay for the Tuner as part of the Kit, and THEN you Must Pay a Shop $500.00min. to ReTune it...thats Double Dipping and its BS!! Why Pay TWICE!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THIS is one of my BIG Pet Peevs with ALL the 5.0 Blowers, you pay for the Tuner as part of the Kit, and THEN you Must Pay a Shop $500.00min. to ReTune it...thats Double Dipping and its BS!! Why Pay TWICE!!
This is a bit of what's confusing me....why noy just use the roush tune, it's an extra $100, and my car will be otherwise stock....

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
this is why you get tuner kits that dont have ecu or fuel injectors. All you need to do is buy fuel injectors and pay for the tune once with whoever you get the tuning device from.

·
Registered
169 Posts
All of the 5.0 kits that I can think of, except FRPP, have tuner versions that cost less and don't come with a tune.

The Roush specifically is 200 dollars less as a tuner kit.

·
Registered
775 Posts
This is a bit of what's confusing me....why noy just use the roush tune, it's an extra $100, and my car will be otherwise stock....
not only can you do this i would recommend you use the roush tune - it really is that good. chk our some of the other roush forums like fnsweet and see how the 05-10 guys struggle with aftermarket pulley/tunes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Couple things. FRPP does indeed do a tuner Whipple kit. The Roush kit and the FRPP kits are exactly identical except for the head unit. Throttle bodies, intake tubes, tensioner, everything... same. I do believe the Roush kit says Roush on the lid. The FRPP, it's the same part with a bitty Roush logo on the underside.

For drivability, recommend using the stock kit air lid. Opening it up with the 127 leads to hiccups as the frequency-based MAF gets touchy about turbulence.

G

·
0 Posts
Couple things. FRPP does indeed do a tuner Whipple kit. The Roush kit and the FRPP kits are exactly identical except for the head unit. Throttle bodies, intake tubes, tensioner, everything... same. I do believe the Roush kit says Roush on the lid. The FRPP, it's the same part with a bitty Roush logo on the underside.

For drivability, recommend using the stock kit air lid. Opening it up with the 127 leads to hiccups as the frequency-based MAF gets touchy about turbulence.
FRPP uses the Whipple which is completely different from the Roush in both design and manufacture.

G

·
0 Posts
Doc these guys will not steer ya wrong:bigthumbsup even though I ended up going with the Kenne Bell 2.8 blower,

I took a long hard look at the Roush kit from VMP.They were great to deal with and I'm in Cali so no complete kit with tune from Roush.Justin will deal with you on a personal level and like they said he can remote tune like many of the other top tuners.

heck his wife has a 10sec car:kooky:
She did 9.79 @14x at MIR back in March.

And +1,000 on Justin dealing on a personal level, he went out of his way for me at the Sping 5.0 shootout when I had issues getting in(forgot the cash entry fee, oops!).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Couple things. FRPP does indeed do a tuner Whipple kit.
I knew that, I have no idea why I forgot.

FRPP uses the Whipple which is completely different from the Roush in both design and manufacture.
Actually he is right, he says that the head units are different. I read that Roush designed the intake/intercooler/belt system for both kits. Basically you can choose Whipple or TVS but the rest is the same.

·
Registered
83 Posts
No ++++, sherlock. If you read that again I was talking about the airbox lid being the only other part that varies between the two kits.

I would really love to see somebody with more money than I do a back do back comparo TVS to Whipple. Unbolt one, plop on the other, same pulley size and let 'er rip.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts