Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I have just had a roushcharger installed on my 2005 mustang gt (vert). In the last 3 weeks the car has bben back to the roush dealer, and the Ecu has been send back to roush 4 times. The car will only run about 40 miles, than it starts to backfire on excelleration, pops and spurts. Anyone have suggestions on a path to finding a solution?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oh man!

I don't think they should expect you to take the car home until they are confident that it is in perfect working order.
It's in their best interest as well as yours.
Do the tech managers at Roush know about this?.....perhaps calling them directly to make sure would help expedite your peace of mind?
Good luck....Paul

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
You had a major Modification don to your car... and for the first 40 miles it ran fine.

Now you have some problems.

OK.. First question is.. are they treating you nicely and helping resolve your problem diligently? If so.. just hang in there and it will get resolved.

Are they treating you like crap?

Tell them thanks, but no thanks...have them remove it and go to a different shop.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine runs perfect from day 1 But then I did the install myself. Run's perfect with the 1st tune from roush. In the insatll when they cut and spliced the air temop from the maf connector to the new sensor in the intrake manifold could be the problem. also do you still have the stock airbox on as per their instructions or did you do a cai kit?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
follow directions

Finally problem solved. Heard from Roush today. The dealer when installing the charger did not drain fuel tank and replace with premium fuel as Roush recommends, instead they added octane booster. This short cut left me without a vehicle for 3 and a half weeks. Anyway get the car back today, off to play. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
nikfeedme said:
Finally problem solved. Heard from Roush today. The dealer when installing the charger did not drain fuel tank and replace with premium fuel as Roush recommends, instead they added octane booster. This short cut left me without a vehicle for 3 and a half weeks. Anyway get the car back today, off to play. Thanks for the input
I would not think that would cause major issues...
Maybe they are feeding someone some BS.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Waxed'05 GT said:
I would not think that would cause major issues...
Maybe they are feeding someone some BS.
No I don't think they are. When I did the install absolutely every piece of paper in the kit had "premium fuel only" some where on it.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Just odd that the car ran fine for 40 miles, then problems started.

I believe you that higher octane is REQUIRED with that tune.
Sounds like a blast!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a similar problem, and the dealer MUST follow roush specs to the letter. If tyhey do, it works fine. If you want to void the warranty, or if you drive out of it, and want more power, those things are either here, or coming soon. As soon as I saw your post, I knew exactly what the problem was.

IT comes down to plug fowling, if it goes too far. That was my ultimate problem. Put it together right, and changed the plugs, and it is great. It has a pretty sophisticated tune to get past EPA guidelines and still put out the power.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Waxed'05 GT said:
Just odd that the car ran fine for 40 miles, then problems started.
Not really. It's possible that he didn't really get into the power until then, or that the hotspots in the combustion chamber didn't get to the critical point until then.

Forced induction is an interesting setup. My weekend car is a 15 PSI 944 Turbo and I have to keep premium in it. However, if I stayed out of boost I could run 87. I could even run 87 in most conditions for around-town. But it only takes once to punch the throttle, hit 15 PSI of manifold pressure, and have pre-ignition punch a hole through a piston. I can completely understand a newly supercharged engine running fine for the first 10 minutes as it warms up and then being driven under light load (and therefore low detonation risk) for the remainder of those trouble-free 40 miles. It just depends on the interplay of engine load, manifold pressure, intake temp, engine temp, and fuel temp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts