Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im sure some people here use royal purple im gonna switch to it this week after not knowing what it had in it for oil before i bought it

but anyway im pretty sure i need 5w-20 if i remember right

but is it worth the money

has anyone actually noticed improvements

:laugh::scratchchin:scratchchin

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I run royal purple in my engine, tranny, and my diff... sooooo you could say im a fan :gringreen

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
i love it in my rear! it helped the clutch packs alot.

ill never buy it again for my trans though...

·
Registered
424 Posts

I love it in my rear!

THATS WHAT SHE SAID!!!

and yes yes i do use royal purple and i think it is awesome

·
Registered
567 Posts
I run Amsoil, never had a problem. Don't think I have ever seen an independant test of all the synthetics. Maybe search Consumer Reports.

·
Registered
613 Posts
im sure some people here use royal purple im gonna switch to it this week after not knowing what it had in it for oil before i bought it

but anyway im pretty sure i need 5w-20 if i remember right

but is it worth the money

has anyone actually noticed improvements

:laugh::scratchchin:scratchchin
The thing with using synthetics and royal purple products is that if your car has thin films of oil on the cylinders walls and in the engine. If your car has high miles the thicker the films of oil will be, cause it is built up over the years. Since syn oils are so strong, when you use them they will eat up that film of oil on your cylinder walls, which will cause your car to burn up a lot of oil. I've seen it happen to a few cars. They will burn up oil and have to keep adding some each month like a mo-fo. In my own car, I would not use a syn if my car had more than 30K on the motor. Just my thoughts. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I run RP in my engine and trans. It runs very well but the biggest diff I noticed was in the trans, much much smoother shifting. It just pops right into gear, almost feels like a diff tranny.

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
I run RP in my engine and trans. It runs very well but the biggest diff I noticed was in the trans, much much smoother shifting. It just pops right into gear, almost feels like a diff tranny.

i put it in mine, and my trans temp runs hotter :(

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
i put it in mine, and my trans temp runs hotter :(
Ive heard from someone else that it makes the trans run a little warmer as well, but from everyone else's experience and a lot of techs I work with say its #1.

·
Registered
547 Posts
i only use royal purple in my engine so far (havn't had a chance to use it in the tranny or diff yet). i love it, i actually think it doesnt burn up as fast as the synthetic blend i was running before, however, im running 10w-30. i know it's supposed to be 5w, but ill wait till after the 80-110 degree weather to change it go back. as far as that oil film build up, i think having awsome protection and performance more than makes up for the extra quart of RP you might have to add avery 1000 miles or so.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts

I wonder what else it packs... :scared

I love Royal Purple for the engine, and yes, 5w20 is the right weight. As far as the trans, I've had good experience with it, but the penzoil or gm synchromesh works better and is better for the trans than royal purple.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The thing with using synthetics and royal purple products is that if your car has thin films of oil on the cylinders walls and in the engine. If your car has high miles the thicker the films of oil will be, cause it is built up over the years. Since syn oils are so strong, when you use them they will eat up that film of oil on your cylinder walls, which will cause your car to burn up a lot of oil. I've seen it happen to a few cars. They will burn up oil and have to keep adding some each month like a mo-fo. In my own car, I would not use a syn if my car had more than 30K on the motor. Just my thoughts. Good luck! :)
Hello oil is supposed to be on the cylinder walls to lubricate the piston, it's not gonna be caked on them with high miles unless the person didn't change it for like 25K, haha! Synthetics have NOTHING to do with oil burning, (just don't use it for new engine break ins, conventional for that). Blowby occurs from scored cylinder walls,worn or wrongly fitted rings, bad valve seals (and to an extent running a PCV system)
Back to the question, yeah the 4.6L calls for 5W20 but Many experts including some ford development team members see the least bearing wear using 5W30 on Modulars after motor tear down tests! When Ford changed it to the thinner rating other things were in mind like emissions,fuel economy etc..
I run 5W30 Valvoline SynPower with an 8 ounce bottle of Militec-1 in the motor and Amsoil out back!

·
Registered
190 Posts
i know what your talking about AJCARON12 syn's flow better so burn a little faster,nothing wrong with checking your oil every once in a while and add as needed.if everybody did this it will be no 4.6 with rod problems,:so unless it is crazy boosted + wrong tune.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i only use royal purple in both of my cars engines and rears. i think it runs a lot smoother

·
Registered
119 Posts
I thought about running RP in my tranny, but read that its not really good for them.
I use Mobil 1 oil, and tranny fluid with the Lucas oil tranny fix.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.