Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I really want to go with high performance and high quality oil in my 5.0, is Royal Purple all its cracked up to be or is it just overrated? I was also thinkin Castrol Edge..

So the question is: Royal Purple vs. Castrol Edge

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I would probably go with RP before castrol. But i like Mobile 1 syn better than RP. Amsoil is probably the top of the food chain for oil.
Oh, i do use RP in my tranny, PS pump, and rear end.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so you use RP for your other oils why not the engine? I cant even find ams oil in auto parts stores

do you really have all those cars in your signature?? holy crap:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Use to have those cars in the sig, just have the 2003 Cobra and 4Runner sport. though i wish i had them all still:bigthumbsup
Just looking at tests done with RP as engine oil and it didn't stand out like Amsoil or Mobile 1. RP for engine oil...I'm a little weary about it. Usually a performance shop or online is the best place to purchase Amsoil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i want to make love to your white cobra sorry offtopic, i just drove a 04 cobra and it was so nasty i was in love

might have to sell the 5.0 =(

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well maybe i should go with mobile 1 then for engine oil.. or ams oil

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
CobraBob---”Amsoil 0w30 Series 2000, Amsoil 5w30, NEO, Motul Ester 300, and Red Line 5w30 or 5w20 (it's lubricating qualities make it a safer bet than a mineral 5w20 for the Nervous Nancy’s out there). Lesser but still high quality are Mobil 1, Valvoline, Pennzoil synoils. I do not think much of Syntec or Castrol domestically - their Euro-spec oils are very good. In mineral oils, Pennzoil PZL Turbo 10w30 is a great lube, but I believe it is either on the verge of or has been discontinued. If you drive your car on nice days, and never at temps much below 20 degrees F, 10w30 spec oils, esp. synoils, have even greater shear stability than 5w30. If you are at the borderline of sunny day only use, go for the 5w to be on the safe side.”

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
The Royal Purple is all it's cracked up to be, but it'll come down to what you just prefer. There's no Amsoil or Royal Purple in my area, I'd have to order it to get it. I've been using Mobil 1 in both the engine and trans for years, I swear by synthetic.
Any of the big names would be fine.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright ill prolly go with mobile 1 or royal purple, I also hear you might have to get a special oil filter when using full synthetic oil...

·
Registered
912 Posts
thats a lie. it wont hurt if you plan on using synthetic to go longer on the oil changes, mobil 1 makes a good sturdy synthetic filter but there 10 bucks a pop. the only filter i would stay away from are frams, when i was in trade school we cut open oil filters and the fram looked like a toilet paper roll stuffed in there. only cardboard and paper but filters like the napa filters, the mobil 1, wix and purolator all had metal with the paper filter not sure about others tho. i have also heard bad things about k&n oil filters, but bact to oil types we use amsoil in our race car along with hastings filters,

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I usually run Wix filters in my cars but that is the best things the auto parts store had...

·
Registered
956 Posts
Wix is one of the best filters you can buy.

Personally, I wouldn't put royal purple in my car if someone gave it to me for free!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
alright ill prolly go with mobile 1 or royal purple, I also hear you might have to get a special oil filter when using full synthetic oil...

Thats false you can use whatever Filter you like, I use Motorcraft but would never use Fram, and Mobil 1 is not a True Synthetic Oil.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
haha ok im gettin all kinds of different inputs: Wix filter, got it..

but we cant seem to decide on a good oil..

·
Registered
143 Posts

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
?

I'm pretty sure that it is.

I use Mobil 1 in my Mustang.
I also use Mobil 1 in my Truck but it is not a True Synthetic, has not been for several years. Mobil 1 used to be a true Synthetic and then Castrol came out with an Oil that they called Synthetic, Mobil sued them for calling it Synthetic and lost so Mobil then downgraded their product to the equal of Castrol.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I also use Mobil 1 in my Truck but it is not a True Synthetic, has not been for several years. Mobil 1 used to be a true Synthetic and then Castrol came out with an Oil that they called Synthetic, Mobil sued them for calling it Synthetic and lost so Mobil then downgraded their product to the equal of Castrol.
I stand corrected. I never really did much research, it says it's synthetic, so i assumed...

anyway, lots of oil info here: http://forums.noria.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/616604995/m/7701041611

·
Registered
391 Posts
Im debating the oil thing too. I hear a full synth on high mileage car can cause leaks due to the smaller molecule in the oil, but Im wondering. Someone, I think Reggie, said RP synth would be good to go with and may even give a few horseys. Im still debating ....:headscratch:

·
Registered
912 Posts
syn. oil in a older car can cause leaks if the tolerances have grown between parts. and the rp adds 2-3 hp according to the import tuner i was looking at a while back. but that was in a 4cyl not sure about a v8.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.