Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im pretty new here, and i looked through a bunch of the forums, but couldnt really find an answer. I hav a 98 Mustang GT, stock, and after starting it and when i "rev the motor" my RPM stays hi for a long time, then drops back down slowly. Upon start up it jumps to about 2000 or so...then comes down after mayb 5sec. One of the answers i found is maybe a vacuum leak? Does anyone know what it would be, and how much to get it fixed?? Thanks!!!

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
are you getting any codes?..sounds like the iac is giving you problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont hav access to a scanner when im at college...so im not sure if i'd get anything or not! But ill look into that when i go home next. thanx!

·
Registered
826 Posts
try cleaning your maf. iac...and your tps could be bad...also check all vacuum lines for corosion!

·
Registered
102 Posts
happened to me too a couple years ago. i just unbolted my iac and sprayed it with carb cleaner and it fixed it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok sweet!! I thought i'd hav to go pay for a tune up or somethin! :sosad: It just turned over 100k so it wouldnt b a bad idea...but thanx for all the info!! ill def get the iac cleaned out this weekend n see how bad that looks!! haha
Thanks again!! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IAC cleaning didnt fix it!

Ok...so i bought some "sea-foam" carb cleaner, and took an old toothbrush..and i cleaned the IAC for prolly 20+ minutes and i could tell that i cleaned it out well cuz the toothbrush was completely black when done, but i could c that the interior of the iac was clean. I also put some in there n shook it around n stuff....and i cleaned where the iac attaches. But after cleaning it and letting it dry out, the engine still jumps to 2000rpm on start and drops slowly, and with any "rev" it stays at high rpm for quite a while before dropping. Another thing now is that sometimes when i push the clutch in, the rpm jumps to 3k and stays there...it doesnt drop down for probably 2 or 3 minutes!!! I dont know what is wrong because i also checked the vacuum hoses and didnt see anything wrong with them! any help on this would be great!!! Thanx!

·
Registered
109 Posts
sounds again what charlie said above maf, tps, iac
check for resitance w/ multimeter the tps for abnormal ohm change

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i just cleaned the IAC...so unless i need to buy a new one...i dont think thats it! But next time i get home from college...ill check the tps and maf.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.