Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I am shifting and push the clutch in the RPM's start going up! When I slow down and push in the clutch I get the same thing so I leave the clutch engaged until I am almost stopped and almost stall it to bring the RPM's down.
Any ideas???

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
High REV on 00 GT

Hello,

I have somewhat of the same problem.
I have a 00 GT stock, automatic..100K miles on it.

The engine revs high during the early morning which is normal since it is cold.
After a 20 minute drive, engine still revs high (2000 rpm). I would have thought the engine would have been warm already and at normal operating temperature.

I turned off the engine and restarted. Now the rev has gone down below 1000 rpm.

This high rev happens once in a while even during warm weather. Not sure why. :?: :eyebulge:

Maybe a needed tuneup? new plugs, fuel filter, oil change, etc...

If anyone has an idea as to what causes this and what are the fix(es), it would be appreciated. Thanks :wavey

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As stated in my signature my car is a 2002 V6 convert. I read some other posts similar to this, can it be the oxigen sensor? Don't know where this is either.
Where is the throttle position sensor?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I drive a 99 stock 3.8 and I had my brand new Stang just 5 months and it was also doing the same thing. I took it to 2 dealerships and they checked it out. Both responses were "No codes and we didn't see any other problems." She's 6 years old now and still doing the same thing. I noticed when the RPM's go up, if I press the clutch in, give her some gas to about 3000 RPM's and then inch forward by riding the clutch while the RPMs drop, they drop much faster. It doesn't fix the problem, but it makes that embarrasing noise go away faster.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah that is what I do, I let out the clutch and "calm" it down, but I shouldn't have to do that!

I am still hoping someone may have a clue as to what it is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd check the voltage on the tps and make sure it's not suddenly bouncing around, or stays high whne the gas is released. Need to check it with a voltmeter and have someone push in the gas pedal slowly. There is a specific topic dedicated to doing this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.