I have. They are a ***** and a half. You have to remove the brake line bracket from the passenger side. Putting that part back in is the worst part. It's a really weird angle and is hard to put that bolt in straight while keeping the bracket in the guide hole.
Those frigging bushings = (3 heater core jobs + a clutch job)... to the tenth power.
I've almost done one of mine, so far. Removal is not too bad. Remove bolt from control arm, swing it up outta the way. The rubber was trashed on mine, so I drilled into it enough times, to be able to pull out the inner metal sleeve. I then drilled and nibbled (with pliers) on the rubber, and pulled it out. That leaves the shell. I used a hacksaw blade to cut through the metal shell, and removed it. You could do this in probably 25 minutes. I got the new one almost all of the way in - it needs to go in about another quarter inch - but I had to reassemble it and go to work.:sosad: You can keep the bushing in the freezer until you install it, that is said to help. Oh, and an autozone steering wheel puller will not work to install the new one. I guess I need a bigger mallet.
That tool is sounding better and better to me, though I think you could fab one up pretty easily in a decent shop and a good scap pile.
There are polywhatever ones available. I think there are even some available, which allow you to leave the old shells in place and reuse them. There are also "spherical bushings", which, I suspect, are an actual bearing assembly. I just got OEMs from Advance for six bucks apiece. They're Federal Mogul/TRW 12584s.
I bought some from steeda that are polyeurethane and one leave the old shell in place... My are so far gone that they make my rear end sit out of positon. I will get started on it tonight and will let you guys know the results.
To put the new ones in, I stuck them in a cold freezer for awhile
to shrink them just a little, squirted some WD on them, cleaned
out the inside of the loops with a little sandpaper, they tapped
in easily with a regular sized hammer no problem.
With the Steeda bushings it was a cake walk.The job took me about 1 hour and 15 minutes...I drilled out the old bushing like the directions said and installed the new ones in the old shell then used the jack to center the axle. The steedas are pretty nice. I think what makes them easy is that you leave the old shell in place and dont have to press in the new ones.
A forum community dedicated to Ford Mustang owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, builds, modifications, reviews, engine swaps, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!