Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was prepping my toe boards and floor pans so that I can treat them with eastwoods rust converter and encapsulator as well as new seam sealer. While cleaning them up with a wire wheel brush I discovered a couple of pin holes in the toe board near the break pedal.Now it seems as though they have been thinned over the years due to rust.I poked the floor pans with a scredriver and they are solid and in good shape.The toe boards, except where I found a couple of the pin holes still seem to have good metal where I poked around . My question is what should I do about this? Could I get by with just treating the rust until I can replace them later on or is this something that need to be taken care of now? My foot is in no danger of going through it. lol..

·
Registered
677 Posts
what is a toe board? You mean floor board? use the old Navt slogan---if it don't move,, paint it !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The toe board is the thin metal sheet area just right below the brake, clutch,accelerator area and where the dimmer switch is located right before it goes into the floor pans. where the toe board and floor pans join they are tack welded i believe and are covered with seam sealer.Thats what mustang monthly called them when they were replacing them in an article.I just don't know if mine are at the point of needing replacing. If the floor pans were rotted then I'd be worried. What do you guys think?Should I do a temporary fix right now and fix them right when I'm more able to or try and do it now? I just don't know how big of a role these thin sheet metal toe boards play in the structual integrity of the car. I know the floor pans play a big role though

·
Registered
964 Posts
If the toe board is rusted, your cowl is most likely rusted throu whack allowed water to leak in and rust the floor. I would be more concerned with the condition of your cowl panel.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
If the toe board is rusted, your cowl is most likely rusted throu whack allowed water to leak in and rust the floor. I would be more concerned with the condition of your cowl panel.
I would not be concerned with the cowl. The toe boards and floor boards will rust from normal wear because wet shoes spend the most time on this area and the carpet only holds the moisture onto the cowl. Combine this with normal moisture from underneath, and add 40 years, you will get normal rust wear such as what he is describing here. A bad cowl is more likely to yield larger rust holes or large areas of rot in the floor. My car had pinholes in the driver's floor board as well so I replaced it and the toe board. My car has not rust rot anywhere else however, including the cowl.

If your floor boards or toe board has pinholes then it needs replaced. You could devise a temporary fix and then get it done later if you wish, but if the money is available I'd do it sooner than later. I've attached some pics of the repairs I did to my floorpan and toe board. I butt welded mine in so there is no overlap.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel like if it were the cowl leaking then it would be alot worse, although I could be wrong. I will try to check the cowl from under the dash to see if I'm getting any leaks inside the car. I just bought the car and have'nt had the chance to.Right now i'm in the middle of pulling the engine,but once I get that buttoned up then I'll see about having the toe board replaced. I'm not a welder so i'll have to take it somewhere and have it done.I'll try and post some pics tommorrow and you guys can tell me what you think. I know there are alot of you that have already been through this so your opinions are appreciated.Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
You can dump some water into the cowl panel grille opening in front of the windscreen and then see if you get any drips down onto the toeboards/floorpan...
But if you've pulled the donk then then you don't have to do a lot to remove the heaterbox (assuming it's a non-AC car) . Removing the heaterbox and glovebox gives you a clear view of the cowl vent opening on the passenger side, and removing the plastic fresh air vent on the driver's side is 4 nuts and then you can see that vent as well. Will put your mind at rest whatever the cowl outcome is - best to know now before you put the car on the road...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats what I'm going to do and it is a non a/c car so It should be fairly easy. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts