Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am very puzzled. I see something similar to rust on the OEM rear rims(wheels) of my 2010 V6 Mustang

Background info:
I just came back from a long, several months trip, to receive my car vandalized ...and driven to oblivion by ex-wife.
The breakpads were completely worn to the point that I had to replace the left rear rotor and the breakpads.
Ok I was still cool to that point, it was about time to replace them anyway. But what's up with the corrosion on the tires?

Corrosion on Rims
Something leads me to believe that the grinding of the breakpads is related to the strange texture that seems to have corroded on the surface of the rims...

This texture seems like RUST on the rim, as if it had corroded it. This is not just normal brake dust, I would know clearly. Break dust is easy to clean with soap and water. This however is impossible to clean off!
feelblue.gif​

Atached is a picture that I have taken with some labels and a link to EBAY where you can compare my rims to the original look of the rims when they are new.

What solutions do I have to fix this... I am thinking sandblasting the thing maybe? I dont know please any info would be great I can't find any related cases!

Link to EBAY (with the rims or wheels that look like mine when they were new):
2010 2011 Factory 18" Mustang Wheels Tires TPMS Rims Polished 05 13 | eBay

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Could it be iron embedded into the finish on the rim? Or is the finish completely gone?

·
Administrator
13,264 Posts
That looks like long neglected brake dust to me. Your wheels are aluminum alloy, so they cannot rust.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks like long neglected brake dust to me. Your wheels are aluminum alloy, so they cannot rust.
I wonder, how do you know the wheels are aluminum alloy? Or is that just general knowledge?

Is it a good idea to sandblast them and re-coat to have them look brand new?

·
Administrator
13,264 Posts
I wonder, how do you know the wheels are aluminum alloy? Or is that just general knowledge?

Is it a good idea to sandblast them and re-coat to have them look brand new?
General knowledge, & it should state it on the window sticker. If you really want to test them, try sticking a magnet to them (other than the lug nuts)basket.gif

·
Registered
5,820 Posts

Looks like many cars I have seen where the owner never cleans the wheels. ie neglected brake dust

·
Registered
378 Posts
When you pulled the pads was all of the brake pad material gone? Did you see the pad backing material scratched or smeared? This backing is made from steel. If you had metal-to-metal scraping (you would know by the screaching sound) some of these metal particles can be deposited on the wheel. Also, some brake pads contain iron particles mixed in.

Get a good wheel cleaner and try to remove the deposit, most likely it is brake dust. If it is not get a cleaner which specifically neutralizes iron particles, and gently rub the surface, then finse, and follow up with an aluminum cleaner/polisher. I use either detailers domain or autogeek.net for these types of purchases. Try

CarPro Iron X Paste, iron remover, iron removal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts