Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, has anyone with a late model Mustang experienced any rust problems on the hood? I just noticed a spot of rust forming on the front driver's side corner of my hood, maybe a few inches in diameter. I live in SoCal, so rust is unheard of on a late model car.

Background: After a theft in 2007 I got the car back with some scratches and a few minor dents. I had them fixed by a body shop, and now there's this rust spot. I took the car back to the body shop today, and they claim it's Ford's fault, pointing out there are a few rust spots UNDER the front edge of the hood too (which they did NOT work on). The invoice states that they "blended" the paint on the hood, but no actual body work.

Any thoughts on this? Is it Ford or the body shop? Personally I think one of the guys at the shop went a little crazy sanding and they didn't prime that spot properly, but those other rust spots under the hood are a bit confusing. Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Ford should replace the hood for you as long as its under warranty! I've read about this problem before... :p

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I believe Ford has a 5 year warrenty on rust or corrosion. Take it to your dealership and they should replace it for nothing.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

Ford said they will fix the hood under warranty, even though the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty has expired. The guy helping me said this falls under the 5 year paint warranty (I checked this and he's being a bit liberal in his interpretation since the paint warranty states it only covers the repair of corrosive holes in metal components).

Also, he said my hood was fiberglass and not aluminum. Go figure. I'm not sure how a fiberglass hood can suffer from this type of corrosion. In the end, I don't care what my hood's made out of, as long as they fix it.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
try to get your hood replaced with a new one. if they repair your hood now...it will only be a matter of time til the corrosion returns. and no you dont have a fiberglass hood. its Aluminium.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.