Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey new to the site i have a 91 mercury GM with a 5.0 i plan on making her a sleeper but for now she's my ride to work haha but any way i have this steel coolant line that runs behind the engine which hasn't started leaking yet but looks like it soon will i can't see where it leads with out taking off the intake manifold. i wanted to try and bypass it but i'm not sure if it's a heater core line or goes to another part of the engine...anyone messed with this line before?

Thanks , Joe

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
That pipe connects to the rear of both heads. You will need to plug heads if you disconnect. I would leave it as it helps cool the heads down. FYI, my tubes are rusty looking also. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That pipe also has this what looks like a some kind of solenoid valve attached to where it begins any idea what that's all about?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Its not a coolant line. It's for the EGR system. Air is pumped through that tube into the heads and into the exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
welcome to the site,enjoy!!!! alot of them lines will look some rusty,most of the time it is just surface rust and no big deal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The line deffintely carries coolant i replaced the hose that leads to it it was deffinately from the water pump... and it is surface rust, but it chunks off and sooner or later that pipe I D is going to get pretty thin perhaps i'm not being specific enough i'll post a pic tomorrow when it's light out. but it looks like some part of the heater core possibly the solenoids are to stop water from running to the heat cor when not in use it's tough to tell because it's just like damn there cant be this many hoses going to the heater core... one way or the other i want to replace it , but it would be nice to know what it does before i get into the job... By the way does any coolant run through the intake manifold on a stock 5.0 because i will have to take this off to do the job and it would be a pitty to get coolant in the air ports...
The tube in question litterally has like one valve and another check valve looking assembly on it i'm hoping it's not some random luxury feature i don't remember seeing anything looking like this on my 89 stang..

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Do give us a picture of it, then we should be able to help you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.