Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
two castings on my 06 gt are rusting one on each side of the rear end like cradling the axle and connecting to the torsion bar appear to have n:dunce:ever been painted only 285 miles on car never in rain orsnow anyone else noting this proble any suggestions thanks:drool:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Yeah, jack the car and start painting. I did this with my older mustang and this will be a must with this one!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
camlo said:
two castings on my 06 gt are rusting one on each side of the rear end like cradling the axle and connecting to the torsion bar appear to have n:dunce:ever been painted only 285 miles on car never in rain orsnow anyone else noting this proble any suggestions thanks:drool:
Axle is not painted, nor driveshafts. These parts are typically not damaged by rust more than cosmetically, but I agree- they ought to be painted. Areas that worry me about rust are:

1) behind headlights:fender/bumper joint- look underhood with a flashlight and you might be suprised at all the crap in there.

2) the 'flap' in front of rear tire has a hole up top that leads into rocker panel- and bottom aint sealed either, so sand/dirt WILL (not 'might') get down between the sheetmetal where it cannot ever be removed. I blew out a fair bit, car had 300 miles on it.

3) the drivers trunk on mine had a lot of missed areas in the seamsealer- leaving gaps for dirt to get up inside. Here in ohio, its not the dirt as much as the little bit of salt mixed with it, might as well be a corrosive sandpaper sponge.

theres a bunch of pics here:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=42484
scroll down theres more...

I dont know if I migh have 'voided my rust warranty' by closing up certain areas, but the 'outerbody rust thru' warranty isnt all that great anyways. I'm more worried about the stuff ya cant see. BTW, the foam fender liners pictured in there I did put back in, just cut about 3/4 inch 'vee' off the bottom wet part so it wouldnt touch fender/cowl anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
have been putting the spray neutrilizer for rust on it which converts rust to black primer which seems to be working also noted some paint chippinf on bottom of spring shock plates with a little rust spots am trying to keep bottom nice as long as i can so any tips appreciated thanks dw:dunce: .

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
ford4v429 said:
Axle is not painted, nor driveshafts. These parts are typically not damaged by rust more than cosmetically, but I agree- they ought to be painted. Areas that worry me about rust are:

1) behind headlights:fender/bumper joint- look underhood with a flashlight and you might be suprised at all the crap in there.

2) the 'flap' in front of rear tire has a hole up top that leads into rocker panel- and bottom aint sealed either, so sand/dirt WILL (not 'might') get down between the sheetmetal where it cannot ever be removed. I blew out a fair bit, car had 300 miles on it.

3) the drivers trunk on mine had a lot of missed areas in the seamsealer- leaving gaps for dirt to get up inside. Here in ohio, its not the dirt as much as the little bit of salt mixed with it, might as well be a corrosive sandpaper sponge.

theres a bunch of pics here:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=42484
scroll down theres more...

I dont know if I migh have 'voided my rust warranty' by closing up certain areas, but the 'outerbody rust thru' warranty isnt all that great anyways. I'm more worried about the stuff ya cant see. BTW, the foam fender liners pictured in there I did put back in, just cut about 3/4 inch 'vee' off the bottom wet part so it wouldnt touch fender/cowl anymore.
Jeez, I felt dinner coming up looking at those pics. What did the dealer have to say about these findings :?: Talk about crappy workmanship. Good thing they don't build boats … they'd all be on the bottom :laughlitt

·
Registered
403 Posts
camlo said:
have been putting the spray neutrilizer for rust on it which converts rust to black primer which seems to be working also noted some paint chippinf on bottom of spring shock plates with a little rust spots am trying to keep bottom nice as long as i can so any tips appreciated thanks dw:dunce: .
for ultimate durability (in my opinion) POR15 is tough to beat.if you put it on etched metal, it wont come off. Around here Ace hardware sells 'ospho' metalprep, just a mild phosphoric acid(like the rust converter youve used, or naval jelly) but its liquid- just sponge/spray it on(wear gloves/goggles) let it work for a bit and hose it off- it converts the iron oxide to black iron phosphate and etches the surface enough to give the paint 'bite'. just rinse reall well, and when youre sure its all gone rinse it again :) after it dries brush on por15 and it will not come off without a torch or a chisel...its not like paint. It also stains hands like nothing else- I look like I musta reached into the can with both hands right now...a drop will smear/stain like you wont believe...takes a week or more to 'wear' off. yep I shoulda wore gloves :)
One suggestion- if you get por, do not open the can- get some cheep vinyl tubing at the hardware store, take a phillips screwdriver a little smaller and 'punch' a hole in the lid- stick the tubing in and plug the end- if it clogs, cut a little off and plug again when done. I pour maybe an ounce at a time into a plastic tray, and get more when needed- if ya take the lid off it will jell up within a week if air was humid...using tubing I've had cans last 6 months or more after opening. its not 'paint' but a moisture cured urethane plastic that is just about 'everythingproof' once dry- but I did find roll-on bedliner can lift it if put on too heavy over it. must be similar makeup?

·
Registered
403 Posts
sonny1213 said:
Jeez, I felt dinner coming up looking at those pics. What did the dealer have to say about these findings :?: Talk about crappy workmanship. Good thing they don't build boats … they'd all be on the bottom :laughlitt
I dont go to dealer unless absolutely necessary...paranoid from past experiences...

people still work on them, people will make mistakes...I make my share for sure too. noone could take the time in a production environment that a person can looking over just one car for a week or more...all in all, I gotta say this is probably one of the 'heaviest duty' looking unibody cars Ive ever seen, and the little things I interpret as possible flaws are very minor.

however.......

it was cold last night, and I put near 100 miles on it- that defroster in the face and cold feet feeling needs adressed as bad as the pain in the butt to gas-up issue. Ford has really dropped the ball by building around a quarter million now with the same old problems unadressed. I love the car, and driving couldnt be much more fun, but theres a few rough edges that shouldnt still be showing this late in the game...the 'new model year woes' shoulda been long gone.
My 85 camaro was same way...had been produced for a while, yet subframe bolts refused to stay tight(creeeeaaaakkkkk at every bump/turn) and it went back several times before I started retorqing every couple months as needed...stress crack in corner of roof started at a few years old...seen quite a few same way. after 20 years you'd think things woulda changed a bit, but guess not.
Anyway- I gotta say one more time - I LOVE this car.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Thanks for all the pics ford4v429, the detail work you did is enough to convince me to raise mine and start at least with some brushes and primer/neutralizer. I have used the stuff that turns black and ready to prime. I think once you apply, one can wait a few days to paint.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
rust

I know exactly what you mean. My girl has never seen a drop of rain. Most of the car loks like it came off the showroom floor. Everything is nice an new (when it really is 6 months old). However, I noticed the rear axle and several parts attached to the axle has rust. I was shocked too. i am glad to hear that it is only cosmetic. My next chance I get, I cleaning them well and painting them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Rusty GT

I found rust under the rotors on the inside of the bullet
rims!!!!!!!! It concerned me cause of the two snow falls
I've driven in and the large amount of salt these idiots
put on the road.. The road looked like the beach.......
Anyone else see this kind of rust???????

·
Registered
785 Posts
newford said:
I found rust under the rotors on the inside of the bullet
rims!!!!!!!! It concerned me cause of the two snow falls
I've driven in and the large amount of salt these idiots
put on the road.. The road looked like the beach.......
Anyone else see this kind of rust???????
Finding rust will become obsessive if you let it. I have a can of primer and black tractor paint for areas like these. They are ready when I take a look somewhere as hidden as this. The paint is applied on a cleaned surface with a horsehair brush being carefull not to paint unwanted areas, or your face if one is lying down!!

Why worry when one can obsess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.