Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just getting started on putting my short block together. It has the cam , crank, and timing gears in. Started to assemble the pistons and connecting rods making sure that the exhaust valve notch on top of the piston is facing the same direction as the large chamfered side of the connecting rod. After getting the rings on the number 1 and 5 and sliding them into their bores on the block I put the caps on and tighten them down. I then tried to turn the crank and it would not turn. I noticed that there was no side clearance. Standard is 0.010-0.020. Has anyone else had this problem? These are all new parts and came as a kit. The repair manual states that if using a new crank or connecting rods that the clearance (endplay) may be inadequate. If so, rods will have to be taken to an automotive machine shop for resizing. This is my first engine/stroker build I think by the time I get it together I'm gonna wish I had purchase one already assembled but then again where's the fun in that. :headscratch:

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Check your crank shaft endplay. Should be .004-.008 you can use feeler gauges between the thrust bearing shell and crank cheek if you dont have a dial caliper

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.