Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

· Registered
395 Posts
one mere thing- in reply to the octane rating:

higher octane burns slower and more evenly. to get ANY benefit from it, either compression needs increased(because higher octane could allow), or timing would need advanced(because it would allow). compression and timing advance help efficiency up to a point- if pinging starts, power (and engine life) decreases. peak efficiency is *almost* pinging, but not. high octane with a tune should help, but I kinda think most tunes have two things in common:
1) performance oriented- not mileage.
2) safer to run rich than lean...lean gets great mileage unless it pings or melts a valve. Most tuners would likely err on the safer side.

Kinda think ford likely spent sizeable fortune getting 300 hp and 25 mpg out of 281 inches on 87 octane, without undue warranty risks. Doubt many tuners could have the time and money to do this under every possible operating condition...

Perhaps Ford someday could offer a over the counter/octane selectable tune...could probably get another 10-15% hp boost, but hp wont ever equate to mpg. Theres a thread out there somewhere about 'hood lift' some cars get on the highway- have NOT heard of one with either lowering OR added air dam/chin spoiler having this(not all 'normal' ones do though)...I tend to think adding a spoiler eliminates some of the trapped air under the car/underhood(grill gulps a LOT of air)...my guess is the positive underhood pressure would actually INCREASE horsepower at speed(underhood 'ram-air' effectively), but at the same time should effect the fuel injection system a little too- wether for better or worse, who knows(perhapsthis is why some chassis dyno's show high speed mixture being off- maybe it wouldnt be if the car was actually moving that fast with the hood shut...another interesting test to try- put a water column manometer with hose underhood and READ pressure at MPH...thinking about this makes me wonder if a lot of tuners might be forgetting a piece of the puzzle surely ford took into account.

· Registered
395 Posts
Johnnytuinals said:
Well what do yea all get when you FILLUP you car and reset everything....
When I first got my Stang Gt it said 310 miles till empty.And now when I fillup it says 280 miles till empty......Only have 600 miles on the car lol.JohnnyT
just a guess, but imagine upon initial powerup, the ecm assumes epa estimated MPG- but the tight new engine(and moreso the excited new right foot) self adjusts this to a true average in a big hurry :)

· Registered
395 Posts
Stoopy said:
... actually, with the IUP, it'd be easy if someone had the chance, and a long long flat road trip. Just set the cruise to 50, reset the MPG counter, check it 20 or 30 miles later.......then bump the cruise to 60, reset the MPG meter again, check it 20 or 30 miles later again......lather, rinse repeat, y'think?
DARN IT... I didnt get the message center thingy(like black dash- ordered the sport appearance pkg to get the better wheel though).
you are absolutely correct- hopefully a few in here that drive a daily highway commute and might be able to light foot it a couple times to share some info...good thinkin! wish I could help- but aint got the car or the friggin message center...wish it and mycolor were optional with the black dash...

· Registered
63 Posts
My 30mpg came on a 30 minute or so stretch of the 401 from Cambridge to Mississauga, never really flat... just a series of minor up and down grades, doubt elevation changed that much overall start-finish. Cruise set at what I guessed to be about 105km/h, 30mpg came from the computer so it's def. US gal. I SWEAR there's gotta be a higher "sweet spot" though that doesn't involve driving this thing like a granny ;) I just don't do enough driving where I can do the same stretch and know I won't have to touch the cruise once.

I took the ol' man's 02 vette out a few weeks ago to fill it up. He just drives, doesn't play with the computer so I'm pretty sure it's never been reset... 10.1L/100km (23.3mpg). Checked his 300M after that, 11.5L/100km (20.5mpg). Cars are weird.

· Registered
239 Posts
For the most part, I have seen that the lower I keep the RPM, the better the gas mileage. If you can keep it in the 3500 or lower as you are shifting and cruising, you will get the best gas mileage. An easy way to see this would be to have the passenger hit the reset button quickly with the average mileage display showing, as you the driver accelerate through the gears. The passenger can then quickly determine at what RPM is the highest MPG in real time. If I could alter the computer programming for the message center, I would enable a real-time MPG display.

Another interesting note, if you turn the ignition on (don't start the car) while you are fillling up, you can watch the "miles until empty" number go up as the car fills up. Maybe the total mile numbers end up slightly different because different amounts of gas are put in on each fill up? Or maybe it is based on the previous average MPG in the computer?

Premium Torch Red Mustang 2005 GT
Bullit Wheels
Rocker Stripes
Locking gas cap
Removed H/C trap(no problems)
Locking Wheel Lugs

· Registered
186 Posts
I think it has to do with the computer....
I filled the damm thing till it was flowing out lol.
I know when i first got the stang gt it said I had over 300 miles before running out of gas.
now its somewhere around 280 miles.
It might have to do with the computer and whats your MPG on that last tank of gas.
So if i get like 25 MPG it should read on my next tank load of gas somewhere around 320 -350 before running out of gas lol..Its interesting.....JohnnyT
:eyebulge:

· Registered
19 Posts
Average MPG per tank:..... 19.2 MPG
Engine - V6 or V8/GT.......V8 GT
Trans - Auto or Stick......Auto
Average Speed..............35MPH
Engine/Drivetrain Mods.....Stock

My own rating: ............Occasional Puncher, how can you not!! Top down 95% of time.
Best MPG I've seen in trip leg: Only 2 weeks old.

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
OK Then here's where we stand. Still shy on numbers from Auto and V6 owners, so curiously, the Auto-equipped GT's are leading the Auto-equipped V6's in mileage. Stick-equipped V6's are leading the pack as expected, and stick-equipped GT owners are apparently having a blast!!! :D

I changed the "MPG/MPH" to just an "Index" score and called it the "Guzzler Index", meaning fuel use per average MPH. It's only significant if comparing your mileage to that of someone with the same average speed (driving conditions).

Hopefully we'll get participation from more auto drivers and V6'ers out there......will update this again when we do.

V6/Stick:
MPG.....MPH.....Best....INDEX...........Driver
====....===.....====....=====...........======
26.0....50.......N/A....0.52............army_eod (VERY new!)
24.0....37......30.0....0.65............KiLLeR_WoMBaT
23.0....30.......N/A....0.77............Goliath (guesstimate on avg. speed)

Average: 24.3 MPG @ 39 MPH = 0.65 "Guzzle Index" (MPG per avg. MPH, higher is better @ same speed)

GT/Auto:
22.1....36......24.4....0.61............Andretti
19.2....35.......N/A....0.55............HIDZ-GT (Two weeks new)
17.4....35......26.5....0.50............woodj (C&L CAI)

Average: 19.6 MPG @ 35 MPH = 0.55 "Guzzle Index" (MPG per avg. MPH, higher is better @ same speed)

V6/Auto:
19.0....24......19.8....0.79............VHStang (~1500 miles new)

Average: 19.0 MPG @ 24 MPH = 0.79 "Guzzle Index" (MPG per avg. MPH, higher is better @ same speed)

GT/Stick
21.2....33......31.0....0.64............junior
19.8....39......24.0....0.51............iplaydat
19.0....31......30.0....0.61............alkaline3
18.5....42.......N/A....0.44............Kyle F
18.2....32......29.0....0.57............ultraclyde
17.5....28......26.9....0.63............Stoopy
16.0....28.......N/A....0.57............HazMatLadder26 (K & N CAI)

Average: 18.6 MPG @ 33 MPH = 0.57 "Guzzle Index" (MPG per avg. MPH, higher is better @ same speed)

· Registered
433 Posts
Here's mine:

Average MPG per tank:..... 22.5 MPG
Engine - V6 or V8/GT.......V6
Average Speed..............Don't know

· Registered
165 Posts
Average MPG per tank:..... 22.5 MPG :kooky:
Average Speed..............47MPH city / 75 Highway
Engine/Drivetrain Mods.....Flowmaster 40 series

My own rating: ............4th gear FREAK , don't go to OD until
about 65-70mph.

Best MPG I've seen in trip leg: None Yet

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks gents, here y'go!

V6/Stick:
MPG.....MPH.....Best....INDEX.........Driver

Average: 24.3 MPG @ 39 MPH = 0.65 "Guzzle Index" (MPG per avg. MPH, higher is better)

V6/Auto:
22.5....34......N/A.....0.66............Crazy001 (Estimated Avg Speed)
22.5....47......N/A.....0.48............srgentslayer (Mod: Flowmaster 40)

Average: 21.3 MPG @ 35 MPH = 0.64 "Guzzle Index" (MPG per avg. MPH, higher is better)

GT/Auto:

Average: 19.6 MPG @ 35 MPH = 0.55 "Guzzle Index" (MPG per avg. MPH, higher is better)

GT/Stick

Average: 18.6 MPG @ 33 MPH = 0.57 "Guzzle Index" (MPG per avg. MPH, higher is better)

Group Average: 20.5 MPG @ 35 MPH, Index: 0.60

· Registered
82 Posts
my mileage

Since you asked...

'05 GT
15-16 city, 27-28 highway.

My "tank mileage" consists of approximately 50-50 highway and city. Computer normally shows 19-21 mpg. Real world testing (odometer reading vs gallons at the pump) mirror these numbers. Obviously, all of this depends upon how much is city, how much is highway, as well as how much gridlock I see on the way home from work, in addition to how often I bang through the gears for fun...

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks, rainman. Yup, it'll vary. What I was hoping for was final mileage numbers, say, like what you end up with at the end of a tankful. Either if you calculate it by hand or look at the IUP message center - see beginning of thread for examples.

Well, anyway, looks like interest and submissions to this has petered out with just 3 people per car type giving numbers (the GT stick guys jumped all over it at the beginning - that's kinda interesting in itself). A sparse amount of input makes this even less "scientific" than it aready is, with limited info but I guess it was enough to serve a rough purpose.

Thanks to all who contributed, I found it very interesting, hope you did too, and will keep the spreadsheet I made on my computer for updating, just in case interest picks back up.

:thumbsup :clap :thumbsup

· Registered
136 Posts
Average MPG per tank:..... 16.8 MPG
Engine - V6 or V8/GT.......V8 Conv.
Trans - Auto or Stick......Stick
Average Speed..............36 MPH mostly on street / some hwy

My mileage sucks! And that's WITHOUT mods... I wonder if all of my running around with the top down ruins my mileage?

· Registered
29 Posts
Average MPG per tank:..... 26.6
Trans - Auto or Stick......5spd man
Average Speed..............39 mph mixed town and highway
Engine/Drivetrain Mods.....none Lightfoot[or these numbers drop to low 20's]

· Registered
7 Posts
Been keeping detailed mileage records since day one -

Average MPG per tank:..... 18

Average Speed..............50

Daily commute average 17 MPG
Long highway trips to weekend house = 24 MPG

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Cool......I'm a dataholic so thanx for more numbers you guys. Hmmmm, if I didn't know better I'd think the Auto-Trans GT owners are holding out on us.....they wouldn't do that ........would they? But I'm starting to squint at that section kinda hard now, LOL....

V6/Stick:
MPG.....MPH.....Best....INDEX.........Driver
26.6....39.......N/A....0.68............Blackjack7 (self-confessed Lightfoot)

Average: 24.9 MPG @ 39 MPH = 0.65 "Guzzle Index" (MPG per avg. MPH, higher is better)

V6/Auto:
22.5....34......N/A.....0.66............Crazy001 (Estimated Avg Speed)
22.5....47......N/A.....0.48............srgentslayer (Mod: Flowmaster 40)
18.0....50......N/A.....0.36............jtashiro

Average: 20.5 MPG @ 39 MPH = 0.57 "Guzzle Index" (MPG per avg. MPH, higher is better)

GT/Auto:

Average: 19.6 MPG @ 35 MPH = 0.55 "Guzzle Index" (MPG per avg. MPH, higher is better)

GT/Stick
16.8....36.......N/A....0.47............MrKABC

Average: 18.4 MPG @ 34 MPH = 0.55 "Guzzle Index" (MPG per avg. MPH, higher is better)

Group Average: 20.2 MPG @ 36 MPH, Index: 0.58

· Registered
4,927 Posts
Average MPG per tank:..... 21.7
Engine - V6 or V8/GT....... V8
Trans - Auto or Stick......5spd man
Average Speed..............40 mph, mixed, mostly highway
Engine/Drivetrain Mods..... CAI, UDP's, CMDP's, x-pipe, axle-backs, Custom Tune, 1 lb heavier 19" wheels

· Registered
604 Posts
Just got back from a 450 mile trip to vegas.

Average MPG 24.9
Average MPH 71

I have a Gt 5 Speed. But to be honest, I took advantage of every downhill and tossed it in N coasting down the hills. Cruise was set at 80 for the most part. All Stock

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Very cool. I'll add those to the chart if/when we get a coupla more, so's it don't take up more room than needed.

Great mileage I'd say, Bax! and I'd be lying like a dog if I said that tracking the info in this thread hasn't made me more mileage-conscious. I'm about halfway through a tank of gas right now and I'm at 20.1 MPG at an average speed of 29 MPH.......a good gain I think for pretty much the same driving conditions, and I'm driving it with a light foot to a degree, but not like granny-style either. Thinkin' that I'll spend the first 3/4 tank getting a good average built up and then allow myself to cut loose a little bit on the last 1/4 tank as a payoff. Kinda cool to see what I can squeeze out of it.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.