Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd appreciate some detailed feedback on actual changes made and/or suggested changes to make when generating or planning to generate very substantial additional HP (i.e., 5-700 HP) and torque compared to the OEM numbers.

My research to date indicates that there are primarily two routes that one can take without incurring a substantial risk of power-induced transmission damage/failure: (1) have the OEM unit "hardened" (e.g., via cryo treatment) and polished (e.g., via mikroniting) and (2) substituting an after-market transmission in place of the OEM unit.

In connection with this last option, the primary after-market choices made by S197 owners appear to have been to swap the OEM unit for (1) a TR6060; (2) a TKO 500/600; or (3) a T-56.

Suggestions/feedback on the above or other options available/recommended ? :scratchchin

·
Registered
193 Posts
Tr6060!

I installed mine last weekend :) High usable 1st gear, 2-3-4 close... shifts like a dream!

I went through a rebuilt, new, then even a 'built' 26spline heat treated gears 3650... thought about the TKO, but they dont shift well at high rpm (unless crash box trans i.e. more work and less streetable ).

Break down and get tr6060, bolts right up to stock flywheel, uses stock or Spydershaft, change crossmember, cut about 1inch back on factory shifter opening... PERFECT.

Wish I had done this over a year ego... the time I lost w/ car down made me damn near sell it.

TR6060

pm/email me if you want any details

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Contact gordon levy at levyracing.com. He can build you a trans that can take whatever abuse you want to throw at it. It's a 5 speed, but costs about $1,000 less than a 6060.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I am waiting for the Viper 6060 to come out to upgrade mine. My stock has handled 550rwhp with the stock drive shaft. Though I think the stock DS is more on luck then any thing but it has handled some pretty mean track time.

I plan on driving mine until it fails.

G

·
is it possible to swap an auto for the t6060? I've been thinking about this for a long time not that i'm planing to do it any time soon as I can't afford the ca$h now... but is possible? what would I need to do? I'm not really very knowledgeable when comes to transmissions so it'd really help if you can explain in more details :)

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
is it possible to swap an auto for the t6060? I've been thinking about this for a long time not that i'm planing to do it any time soon as I can't afford the ca$h now... but is possible? what would I need to do? I'm not really very knowledgeable when comes to transmissions so it'd really help if you can explain in more details :)
Not a problem. You'll need a bellhousing, clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, the trans, new shifter and crossmember. not sure if the speed sensor plugs are the same. and oh yea a different drive shaft. and just for safety a drive shaft loop thrown in. Almost forgot a clutch peddle assembly and hoses.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Not a problem. You'll need a bellhousing, clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, the trans, new shifter and crossmember. not sure if the speed sensor plugs are the same. and oh yea a different drive shaft. and just for safety a drive shaft loop thrown in. Almost forgot a clutch peddle assembly and hoses.
I think you would also need a new computer and tune.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Also a new wiring harness and clutch master. It would require a new PCM too.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Is it possible? Sure, given enough time and money, almost anything is possible.

But, you'de destroy any resale value the car mght have. Imagine you're buying a used car, and discover that the VIN describes the car as an auto, and the car has a stick. Would you buy it? Only if it's cheap enough. Who knows what kind of hack job was done.

If you really want a stick, you're much better off selling your car, and buying one with a stick from the factory. It's cheaper.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Is your car going to see a lot of track time? Are you going to do bracket racing? How will you use your 700 lbs of torque?

I chose a transmission path a little more hardcore than most but is designed for my goals (which maybe very different from yours?). Look into FB Performance Racing Transmissions out of Long Island, NY.
The car is presently at 735 lbs rear wheel torque. The 4stb-e unit is made to handle this torque level in conjunction with transbrake use which is very hard on a transmission, rearend etc. The original unit was rated at 900 hp and I sent it back to be upgraded and reinforced.

The down side (there's always a trade-off) is that the car is no longer a friendly weekend highway cruiser. The transmission, gearing, and shifter are made for one singular purpose....the 1/4 mile.

The attached brief videos shows Lance at the helm, practicing launches with the transbrake. Car only had the street tune, so the rear wheel torque is 530 lbs in all videos. We've not been back to the track yet with the new racetunes, but Lance told me yesterday to get ready for wheelie bars.

The 3rd video is versus a stock 07 GT and the launch difference is dramatic.

Video of 60 foot transbrake practice - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Video of 11.05 quarter 11lbs - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Video of 11.19 quarter pass - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I teach college and as my students are enjoying break...so am I. Had some time to look back on some old posts. Found this one.

Been a year since this thread was active. Strange looking back at these old runs. Car has come a long way since. Had lots of stuff break or blow. Had trouble with the GT500 fuel pumps, blew head gaskets and morphed pistons.

About the only thing that has held strong throughout has been the 4r70w (model 4stb-e) from FB Performance. Sent it back a few months ago to be upgraded and reinforced. Should be tough enough to handle anything the 76mm can throw at it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.