Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday me and 3 friends went out to the dyno for the beginning of the day, a fox body stang, a 98 cobra S/C, my 06 GT and a RX-7. the RX-7 pulled 310 rwhp, the cobra pulled 333 rwhp, the fox body wont be mentioned to save its dignity. and my 06 pulled max 267.33 rwhp and 264.65 torque... just for reference it was 44F with 16% humidity. the dyno was the kinetic dyno with sae smoothing. the day was a bit depressing considering the fact that i read many 2005+ gt's dyno'd around 265 rwhp stock. but my car is not stock, im running a c&l cai, pypes off road H-pipe, bassani catback system, and a sctx3 tuner with 93 octaine tune. i found through out the day, my first run was the strongest, and leanest. i tried to continue to lean it out and the power increased every time i leaned it out more running 6% lean. the day was good but was semi depressing pulls left me wondering, is that good numbers for the new mustangs? did my mods do anything at all? and what can i do to fix this lack in power. on the plus side though, my power curve WAS relatively flat. all in all i forgot about the numbers as me and my friends tore up the roads on the way back home with of course the 310hp & 2700lb RX-7 like to leave us in his exhaust...:wavey

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
Sorry to hear your disappointed, but it sounds like you'r using the tune that came with you X3. If so then you might want to get a custome tune to what mods you have done on the car. You need to watch leaning out your car, because you are only leaning out WOT. That is all you have access to. I have a custom tune by Tillman Speed for what I have modded. As soon as they get the little glitches with the new building streightend out I'm hoping Mon or Tues getting it dynoed.
The current tune by CR at Tillman was a big increase in power and driveability. Once I get it on the dyno it will get a custome dyno tune to get the best all around performance.
CR does custome tunes, you can give him a call and talk with him.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
I agree... Get yourself a dyno tune or at least a custom tune and you'll improve considerably. You are right though, those numbers are what you should be at stock. However, I have seen S197 GTs dyno as low as the mid 230s and as high as the mid 270s stock. So there's a lot of variation.

As for that RX-7. Not surprising at all. My friend has a twin turbo that pushes out 800+ rwhp. They can be real beasts!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Please dont worry about your dyno numbers, there are so many factors that influence them... not to mention each dyno machine can vary quite a bit.
As for your actual numbers, they are "ok"... for an automatic (on a mustang or an upgraded dynojet). I too was disappointed initially with 260.15 whp/261.49 tq (this with CAI/exhaust) and now only have 276.24 whp/292.15 tq (shorty headers, x-pipes, delete plates). Dont forget the automatic loses about 6% more hp than the manual, so a stock manual GT may be 260/265, an auto is typically closer to 240/245 whp stock.
My car is being built by James Klok of Boss Shinoda, so I am confident in my car's performance reguardless of any single set of dyno numbers. Your numbers are reasonable and I wish you best if you decide to do any further modifications.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Please dont worry about your dyno numbers, there are so many factors that influence them... not to mention each dyno machine can vary quite a bit.
As for your actual numbers, they are "ok"... for an automatic (on a mustang or an upgraded dynojet). I too was disappointed initially with 260.15 whp/261.49 tq (this with CAI/exhaust) and now only have 276.24 whp/292.15 tq (shorty headers, x-pipes, delete plates). Dont forget the automatic loses about 6% more hp than the manual, so a stock manual GT may be 260/265, an auto is typically closer to 240/245 whp stock.
My car is being built by James Klok of Boss Shinoda, so I am confident in my car's performance reguardless of any single set of dyno numbers. Your numbers are reasonable and I wish you best if you decide to do any further modifications.
A manual GT actually loses around 12% and an auto around 15%. You are correct on the dyno numbers-they're just numbers. A dyno is just a tool to get the best tune. People have a tendency to focus too much on the numbers. Human nature since 300 sounds a whole lot better than 299 :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
What the heck is with this RX-7? What kind of mods does he have?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am just going by what the tuners (Xtreem Motorsports) and builders (Boss Shinoda) have told me... manual GT 14/15% and auto GT 20/21%. The average difference between multiple vehicles tested was almost 6%. But you are right they are just numbers and each car can vary quite a lot. Where did you get your numbers?

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
I am just going by what the tuners (Xtreem Motorsports) and builders (Boss Shinoda) have told me... manual GT 14/15% and auto GT 20/21%. The average difference between multiple vehicles tested was almost 6%. But you are right they are just numbers and each car can vary quite a lot. Where did you get your numbers?
I've witnessed some 30 multi-pull runs and that was about the average drivetrain loss that I saw. Some higher, some lower. My bonestock GT dyno'd at 267 SAE corrected at 68* and 56% rel humidity on a DJ224X.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The RX-7 has an intercooled turbo and deleted the oil injection system... and some weight reducing stuff. thats really about all i know, he just pulled it out recently.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Now that I think of it... It may appear that some of these cars are losing 20-21% because the bhp varies greatly on these cars. Some are considerably lower than 300 bhp. Lowest stock pull I saw with an auto was 232 rwhp. That would be close to a 23% loss.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Why do so many of the tuners set the a/f so rich? On race stuff, we're always in the low to mid 13's without any issues.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Why do so many of the tuners set the a/f so rich? On race stuff, we're always in the low to mid 13's without any issues.
Not sure, safety I guess... I've always been tuned to about 12.7:1 but I have leaned it out 2% without any detonation problems.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Not sure, safety I guess... I've always been tuned to about 12.7:1 but I have leaned it out 2% without any detonation problems.
12.5 to 1 is the prime ratio. but, that is a balancing act as you are right on the edge of the A/F mixture. so, 12.7 would be on the safe side. although not far on the safe side.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, I've noticed that also... seems to be a very large range for the auto whp stock... more so than the manuals (why, however I havent a clue). My dyno was ran at about 95F/88 humidity (sunny florida), so I will be tuning again this winter after cams.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
The RX-7 has an intercooled turbo and deleted the oil injection system... and some weight reducing stuff. thats really about all i know, he just pulled it out recently.
Don't feel bad. I had one zip by me on the highway like I was nothing. He was driving wildly, so I just let him go, but there is no way I would have been able to keep up.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Top Gear episode with a GT500, dynoed at 441rwhp.

BTW - liked the power but hated the solid rear axle. Car was slow around their test course.

Rousch version ran the course 2 seconds faster. Solid axle, but limited slip.

·
Registered
57 Posts
mine too

i just get supercharger procharger but i get only 377 rwhp
is it low right ?
i don't have any mode but sc let me know about that

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Top Gear episode with a GT500, dynoed at 441rwhp.

BTW - liked the power but hated the solid rear axle. Car was slow around their test course.

Rousch version ran the course 2 seconds faster. Solid axle, but limited slip.
Contrary to what Jeremy says on the show, both the GT500 and Roush (and all GTs for that matter) have limited slip differentials. If the Roush was faster around the track it's more due to it being a lighter car with a better suspension.

·
Registered
57 Posts
sad day in dyno

i have 05 gt and just have someone put prochager on my car
dyno show only 377 rwhp is it low?
my car have no mod but s/c
let me know thanks

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.