Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

S197 Mustang GT valve cover disassembly

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  2005 white s197 
#1 ·
Hey everybody,
I removed my valve covers today and have them close to ready to drop off at to company that is going to powder coat them. One question, anyone know how to get the plastic piece out of each cover that slips over the timing sensor without breaking them? do they just pop out from the inside? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
thanks.

#4 ·
NO, do not leave them in because of the baking process for powder coating. Get a socket close to the size of the plastic cover and use a hammer to tap them out from the inside. They come out very easy. You can see I took mine out.

Attachments

#5 ·
It really is OK, I did mine after I called Ford Tech line and ask what type of plastic it was formed with. I was told it was a high heat Thermo-blend due to temp. in the engine bay area. Mine were baked at 425 degrees for 33.5 min. with no harm at all. The problem with removing them is you run the risk of breaking the tabs. Ford won't sale just the plugs you will need to purchase new covers. You could try and find them at a junk yard if you do damage them trying to remove I guess. The painter applies tape to them adding a little more protection too. My 4 cents..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.