Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pretty sure it is true that manual transmissions get better gas mileage, however, is it also true that they are cheaper to buy used?
Is the Mustang fun to drive with a stick shift?

I was recently planning to purchase a Automatic transmission, however, after my friend forced me to drive downtown yesterday in his stick shift (I had no prior knowledge of even how to drive a stick shift, so it was quite scary), it made me rethink whether I wanted a Automatic or Manual. I like this: Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com

The color, the leather and the white stripe!!
What do you think?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Once I started driving a stick, I have never gone back to an auto trans. Even when I bought my Winter "beater" car, I looked for a stick.

The Mustang is fantastic to drive with a stick in my opinion. Yeah, there are times when I am stuck in traffic that I could say...."this is where an auto would come in handy". But I just have to drive a stick no matter what car I own.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Stick all the way. My Camry has an auto trans and all winter long I can't wait to get the Mustang out and run through the gears.

·
Registered
276 Posts
i allways volunteer to drive ppl places and every oprotunity i get because its so fun to drive it with a stick. Ive never get board of driveing it even on 700 mile trips to new york

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Oh and sticks are almost always less expensive to buy as used than autos....for a couple of reasons. One is that an auto is usually a 750.00 or so option when the car was new....and also that EVERYONE can drive an auto.

As for gas mileage being better, that still depends on how you drive. The potential for getting better gas mileage is there if you want to shift to a higher gear sooner than the auto trans would normally do the shift. But believe me.....if you are driving a Mustang with a stick, you aren't going to want to do that.....lol.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I've driven 42k miles on mine. It's my first manual car, and I wouldn't ever drive a mustang any other way. It's fun as hell.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Oh and sticks are almost always less expensive to buy as used than autos....for a couple of reasons. One is that an auto is usually a 750.00 or so option when the car was new....and also that EVERYONE can drive an auto.

As for gas mileage being better, that still depends on how you drive. The potential for getting better gas mileage is there if you want to shift to a higher gear sooner than the auto trans would normally do the shift. But believe me.....if you are driving a Mustang with a stick, you aren't going to want to do that.....lol.
yep + 1:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Yeah you will get better gas mileage cuz you can shift at like 2500 rpm's if ya want. And def get a stick, so much fun to drive. Once you get good at it, there are things you can do with a stick that you cant do with an auto. The only downside to it is if ya do a lot of city driving and get caught in stop and go traffic, it can be a pain sometimes.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
I like the stick in my car. But my ranger which is my dd is an auto. It also depends on what your going to do with the car. If your planning on racing it then an auto is better, but for just all around fun sticks the way to go.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
There are also a heck of a lot less to go wrong with a stick and cheaper to repair, autos can cost thousands to repair as opposed to a few hundred.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
There are also a heck of a lot less to go wrong with a stick and cheaper to repair, autos can cost thousands to repair as opposed to a few hundred.
Excellent point.....I have heard so many horror stories in the past about automatic transmissions if they fail.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If your planning on racing it then an auto is better,
If there were only one form of "racing" that statement would be accurate :) .

·
Registered
210 Posts
As long as I'm single, Im going to be owning sticks.

My first stick was my 2005 Mustang GT and then I bought the 1997 Export model Cobra over here in Kuwait... If I ever have to get a beater, it'll be a stick as well.

I have no problem sitting in traffic in and out of gears ;)

·
Registered
406 Posts
+1 to everything above! (including the comments about traffic.)

I had an '04 GT which I loved, but I still missed shifting. So I traded for an '07 GT manual.

As Wally (the giant bird) used to say in those Western Airline commercials: "It's the ohhnnly way to fly!"

·
Registered
210 Posts
Something about that 6k Shift into third... when you clutch in and the exhaust gases stop flowing out the Long tubes for a split second and make that "Eeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn" sound ;)

I don't know. Sometimes traffic does bum you on the stick, but hey, its only temporary.

I have a few buddy's that own Automatic GTs and catch a lot of hell for owning a "girl-o-matic". :shrug: All in what you want man!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think someone on this forum once said " If you want to steer, buy an auto. If you want to drive, buy a stick!"

I'm not knocking auto owners though. They are slick for those who want/need them.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Something about that 6k Shift into third... when you clutch in and the exhaust gases stop flowing out the Long tubes for a split second and make that "Eeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn" sound ;)

I don't know. Sometimes traffic does bum you on the stick, but hey, its only temporary.

I have a few buddy's that own Automatic GTs and catch a lot of hell for owning a "girl-o-matic". :shrug: All in what you want man!
Girl O Matic lol funny but if I could do it all over again I would of got an Auto. The stock auto slightly built up will pull 9's in the 1/4 and is so much better for drag racing then any stick.

The auto gets my vote for the best tranny. I plan on swapping my transmission out for an auto some time next year for an AOD.

You will never be able to out shift and Auto in a drag race

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Girl O Matic lol funny but if I could do it all over again I would of got an Auto. The stock auto slightly built up will pull 9's in the 1/4 and is so much better for drag racing then any stick.

The auto gets my vote for the best tranny. I plan on swapping my transmission out for an auto some time next year for an AOD.

You will never be able to out shift and Auto in a drag race
Let me first put out the disclaimer that I don't race. Now having said that, I think auto tranny's should be banned from any serious kind of racing. Anyone can get behind the wheel and mash the gas pedal down to the floor. It would be like if all NASCAR cars were automatic transmissions.....the skill of driving would be taken away. To me it's like if you gave big league baseball players aluminum bats....when one of them hit 100 home runs it would be a factor of the equipment and not the skill of the hitter.

Drag race, track race or road race....if you really want to know who the most skilled driver is, put them both in a manual transmission car.

Just my two cents....

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Let me first put out the disclaimer that I don't race. Now having said that, I think auto tranny's should be banned from any serious kind of racing. Anyone can get behind the wheel and mash the gas pedal down to the floor. It would be like if all NASCAR cars were automatic transmissions.....the skill of driving would be taken away. To me it's like if you gave big league baseball players aluminum bats....when one of them hit 100 home runs it would be a factor of the equipment and not the skill of the hitter.

Drag race, track race or road race....if you really want to know who the most skilled driver is, put them both in a manual transmission car.

Just my two cents....
Yeah true it measures the driving ability of the car but driving a car with 1000rwhp with a 3spd auto is not an easy thing to do.

Not to mention that there really are no clutches out there that will handle that amount of power. Even with my clutch is suppose to handle over 700rwhp I can see that I will have to replace it every year or so because it will start slipping. There is no driver in the world that wont but abuse to there clutch with any high horse power car.

So once you get to the power level that I am spending all most 1000$ for a clutch every year to a year and a half is not fun. Where with an auto there are no issues with that.

So I agree and car that is not making big power a stick is more fun but a auto is more dependable for drag racing and easier on the wallet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.