Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around for superchargers and i'm planning to go with Brenspeed with their stage 2 with 6-8psi and a conservative tune and i'm getting the GT500 fuel pumps. My main issue is to stay very safe, mainly because i can't get a dyno tune here :happyhapp so i wana be safe as possible with the mail tune. I know s/c and mail tunes are not the best combination but thats life! I keep reading the weak points in our engines are the pistons and rods and their breaking point are around 500hp, so...i found these:

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/product/CHP10160PS/199608_Mustang_GT_46L_Forged_Rotating_Assembly__45_Dished_Pistons.html

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/product/CHP10163PS/199608_Mustang_GT_46L_Forged_Rotating_Assembly__Flat_Top_Pistons.html

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/product/CHP14090PS/199608_Mustang_GT_51L_Forged_Stroker_Rotating_Assembly__210_Dished_Pistons.html

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/product/CHP10161PS/199608_Mustang_GT_46L_Forged_Rotating_Assembly__105_Dished_Pistons.html

sorry for the long explanation but my questions are as follow:

1. if i change out the pistons and rods, will that be enough to support and be very safe with 500rwhp or am i still pushing it?

2. do i need anything else to buy to install the pistons and rods?

3. Can i use my stock heads with them or do i need an upgrade too?

4. after considering all questions above, which one the four should i go for? (complete novice when it comes to internals :headscratch:)

many thanks

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I think if you're gunna rip your block open, might as well replace ALL the internals cuz you'll get nailed on labor costs. The costs for the rest of the rotating assembly won't be that bad while you're at it.

You don't wanna forge you're engine piece by piece.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I'm not sure what your shipping cost are, but you may just want to consider a built shortblock. You'll incurr a lot less labor cost.

I also am not a probe fan. You could go with MMR or Livernoise and pay approx. 3,500 to 4,000 and have a completed shortblock.

Then you can hold onto your existing shortblock as a spare should you ever have a problem.;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the thought of a complete shortblock did cross my mind! but when i think about spending 4-5K on a shortblock plus another 7-8K for the s/c it is a bit too much for me!
if i do decide to go for a shortblock the s/c will go on hold! do i need another tune? mail tunes any good with shortblocks? how much increase will i see? if any?

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Well you could get this one from MMR for 2,500.00 and it's good for 800hp. You won't pick up much from the shortblock alone but you will be able to turn that blower up! And unless your doing the labor yourself the cost to have the engine internals done won't be cheap, you may want to get some quotes. Many have found the cheaper option is indeed the shortblock.

*Brand New Cast Iron 2004 Cobra Block, torque plate bored and honed
*New 4340 Forged 3.543 stroke Cobra Crankshaft w/micro polished journals at no extra charge
*New 4340 5.933 MMR 800HP H-beam Rods w/ARP rod bolts ( These rods are shotpeened, magnafluxed and weight matched to bring you the finest H-beam rod available for your 4.6)
*New Forged Manley pistons (High or low compression)
*Speed Pro file fit rings (precision file fit to your application, nitrous, blower, turbo or N/A)
* Clevite tri-metal Rod and ACL Performance Main bearings
*Complete Pro Assembly and Balancing for the smoothest, highest revving shortblock available, Pre-Lubricated with Royal Purple Assembly Lube and spin tested. Lastly 3 technicians sign off on your new engine prior to packaging and

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will i need to get anything else? or is it complete? just slam on a supercharger and go for +10psi?
is it that straight forward?

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Many give mail tunes on a F/I app a bad rep. Well check this out, my buddy had a saleen blower installed at brenspeed.. They loaded a mail tune that was made for him, and well it was pretty dead on! They had to tweak a quick thing because he upgraded to a Huge heat exchanger, otherwise with the stock saleen on it was on the money..

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
will i need to get anything else? or is it complete? just slam on a supercharger and go for +10psi?
is it that straight forward?
You'll need the same things as with just changing the rotating assembly i.e. gaskets and such.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
why not go for a longblock then? what is the difference between short and long? It costs twice as much!!!
so if my engine will withstand 600-800hp with a shortblock, why should i even be thinking about a longblock?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.