Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im a newbie here. Got a question for ya'll. I bought my 07 gt used with 27,000 on it. It ran great! Unfortunately i live in a county where you have to pass emissions. Previous owner did not.

When I got it it had a C&L cai, an offroad mid with flowmaster exhaust, and obviously some kind of computer tune but no programmer with the car. Dealer had to put everything back to stock except the flowmasters. They gave me the C&L so i have that to put back on.

Here's the problem and where ill start the arguing: ive read u have to have a tuner for the cai to work correctly, the big question is which should i get? the sct or the diablo??

ive read a few opinions for both but would like to get some input. also with stock headers does the cat mid pipe REALLY make that big of difference because the tubes seem same size as aftermarket. Its jst such a hassle to have to go back and redo everything every year to pass. Plus very costly to have it done by someone else.

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
some cais dont rewuire a tune. but i got the SCT i love it:D

·
Registered
259 Posts
SCT X3....Get a tune from Bamachips to go with the C&L CAI, you won't regret it...:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
call up tillmanspeed.com and tell them your specs on your car and they will send you a tune that will shend shivers down your spine :laugh:

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Both SCT and Diablo are good, but more custom tuners use SCT than Diablo.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The reason for going with an SCT is more tuners write for it. Also email tunes are easier to download due to the usb port. Diablo uses a serial port for downloads.

Most email tuners will give you 3 tunes for your car with the purchase of the tuner.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i spoke with a guy at the only local performance shop and he said they sell both the diablo and sct and he seemed to lean toward the diablo saying main reason he does the sct is just in case a customer comes in with one he can still dyno and everything for it but was kind of pushing the diablo. is sct really much better?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
i spoke with a guy at the only local performance shop and he said they sell both the diablo and sct and he seemed to lean toward the diablo saying main reason he does the sct is just in case a customer comes in with one he can still dyno and everything for it but was kind of pushing the diablo. is sct really much better?
Are they just selling the tuners with the canned tunes or are they dyno tuning?

·
Registered
49 Posts
i know that i am about to get the sct livewire for my car because of the user friendlyness and the fact that most tuners have tunes for sct. also the sct's usually come with a few preset tunes, one of which is usually an "economy tune" which could help with the emissions issue, however a good dyno tune with most mods will still pass emmisions, i dint know how strict things are in your area but ive seen a few guys run highly moded cars, and pass emissions with agood tune.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i kinda figured probly for profit reasons but he says going to do a performance tune for my car and what i have on it. But i heard if put special tune in thts the only one diablo will hold. is sct the same way or will it hold multiple tunes other than factory?

·
Registered
49 Posts
i kinda figured probly for profit reasons but he says going to do a performance tune for my car and what i have on it. But i heard if put special tune in thts the only one diablo will hold. is sct the same way or will it hold multiple tunes other than factory?
some tuners will only hold one custom tune, i know some of the sct's hold up to 3 custom tunes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so if you choose to use a custom tune does it still retain your factory tune as well so that i can just flash it back to pass marta and then reinstall custom? adn can u have one for performance and one for economy and how hard is it to switch between them? its not like a one button push when feeling froggy is it?:gringreen

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
so if you choose to use a custom tune does it still retain your factory tune as well so that i can just flash it back to pass marta and then reinstall custom?
Yes

adn can u have one for performance and one for economy and how hard is it to switch between them? its not like a one button push when feeling froggy is it?:gringreen
You can have as many tunes as your pc can store, but the tuner will only hold 4 and not it's not that easy. You have to turn the car off...it takes about 5 minutes to switch tunes.

·
Registered
352 Posts
+1 on the Tillman speed, If it were me I'd buy it from Tillman talk to Chris Rose, and he'll send you one with custom tunes, I've had great experiences with Tillman!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well, i just called and talked to a tech support with diablo and he said that the predator will hold up to 5 custom tunes along with the canned tunes that come on it. He said i would be able to switch between the custom tunes and canned tunes with no problem. and after i put on the cai if i swap out to an offroad pipe will i need to have another tune done? I really appreciate all the help ya'll are providing!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Get the SCT. Get your tunes from Tillman.
You will likely only use one or two tunes other than stock. There is almost no point in having 5 available tunes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.